A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wondering how to scan charcoal and pastel?  (Read 4413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 03, 2010 10:23:20 PM »

so I have started doing art in Pastels and Charcoal and really love it, and I want to put up some of my pieces on my deviant art account...the issue I have is I am sure that stuff would come off on the glass on the scanner how can I do a good scan so I get detail of the picture but not mess up the picture or the scanner itself.
lol sort of an odd question my apologies just an odd thought i had after working on a piece I was doing this afternoon.

Love of Makeup, Photography, Drawing, & the Crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010 10:31:21 PM »

Do you have a digital camera? That would be better for posting your pics and you don't have to worry about messing up you artwork. If you don't have a camera you can use an aerosol hairspray to "set" the pastels. I would do a test patch on something else to make sure it won't affect the colors and such, but I used to do thing before so my pastels would get on other things. I think they also make special pastel setting sprays just for that. I've always used hairspray, very lightly Smiley But please test it on something first! I would hate for you to ruin a piece of art! It has been years and years since I have used pastels.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010 05:45:07 PM »

I might try the hair spray but if anyone could necessarily tell me if there was special stuff you can use to with pastels like you said I might be interested in trying that out to some degree as well.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010 07:19:23 PM »

Hair spray won't be archival, in case you're concerned about preservation for a long time.
I don't know of a specific spray for pastels but I'm sure there is some if you look in a store's pastel or spray sections.
Personally I just carefully lay things on the scanner (drop them down straight instead of moving around) then wipe the scanner down after.

Love of Makeup, Photography, Drawing, & the Crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010 08:17:49 PM »

I found something that is more what you need. This is just one brand but it is a starting point. I buy lots of stuff from them. They have good prices. Hope this helps you!

Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010 09:59:13 AM »

definitely invest in a Fixitive spray. Sold at most arts and crafts store, they have a bunch of different kinds, including kinds that are still workable. They range in price but you can usually find some for around $5.

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010 11:02:08 AM »

Just be sure to use the fixative spray in a well-ventilated area. (Although, it is fun to see how your nostrils will stick together if you breathe in too much fixative or spray adhesive, but maybe that's just the nerve damage talking...)

You can always lay an acetate sheet or transparency on your scanner to protect the glass. If your piece is small enough, you could even use painter's tape to tape the transparency to your drawing, like a cover sheet, so that it doesn't move around and smudge the drawing.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...