I saw the challenge at the end of June and wanted to try it. I started this last week and figured I could whip something out. We didn't have any old sheets that I could use, so I decided to go out and buy some. The first sheet was a soft brown one that came in a twin set. I decided to use the fitted bottom sheet so I could keep the top one for myself. The second sheet I used was from a thrift store. It is a white sheet with orange and brown butterflies and ferns.
I decided to make a 3-piece outfit (plus a headband), inspired by pirate maidens. First, here are some pictures of the whole outfit on (minus the headband):
Without the corset (I had to throw on my pirate medallion):
Note in the next one that I had to pin the shirt to the front of the dress form because it wouldn't fit over the bust. I popped stitches when I tried to put the skirt on the form from below. I learned from my mistake.
For the top I used a front and back panel out of the butterfly sheet, and two side panels out of the brown. I had meant for the brown sheet to stretch horizontally and didn't realize it only stretched vertically until too late, but it fit pretty well. The brown band along the top is the elastic band from the brown fitted sheet. I gathered the material around the front when I sewed the elastic, and did the same thing with the sleeves, but as separate pieces.
I also made a soft corset-like piece to go over the shirt. Here are the panels cut out:
The corset has elastic from the brown sheet as the straps that tie into a halter and each fabric panel is double layered. It has a zipper in the back and a heart button on the front.
The skirt I made is reversible! I was really excited when I was planning this, and I think that was my motivation for making the whole outfit. Anyway, the skirt just flips inside out, so that the brown or print side shows, with a little from the other color. The waistband is made from the brown sheet, and I made a fabric belt that stays inside the waistband from the butterfly sheet. It is usable on both sides of the skirt. The belt literally took me an half an hour to pull right side out after sewing, but it was worth it.
Here are both views of the skirt:
And finally, I made a headband from the elastic of the fitted sheet, but forget to wear it for the outfit pictures.
I have to thank WhatTheCraft.com for various skirt tutorials and ruffle techniques, they were clear and very helpful! After lots of measuring, hemming, and thinking daggers at my uncooperative sewing machine, I was finally able to put the whole thing together. Thanks for looking! Let me know what you think.