A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pink plastic chopsticks - craft ideas?  (Read 2190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suzeqz

Easily distracted by shiny things

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2010 04:10:13 PM »

I was gifted with 20 pale pink plastic chopsticks. Any crafty ideas, please? They're 9.5" / 24 cm long and they've never been used.  They also have 4 red what-I'm-assuming-to-be-Chinese characters running up the side of each stick.

I tried posting a photo but I'm new to the boards so policy won't allow me to upload actual pics, and while photo links are allowed, I couldn't get that to work from my end.   Roll Eyes

So, for now, imagine 20 pink plastic chopsticks and... Glue? Glitter? Welding torch?

Thanks in advance for ANY AND ALL ideas! (Including "How to Attach Photo Links for Dummies!")
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010 07:44:13 PM by pixieval - Reason: added pic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/suzeqz
Frugal Holiday 3 swap - first swap completed!
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010 08:40:24 PM »

house plant stakes

garden plant markers (use a sharpie marker & write on the side what each plant's name is)

wind spinner: lay them all side by side and measure. Cut a piece of wire 4x the width
of your chopsticks.fold the length of wire in half.slide the 1st chopstick into the wire's fold halfway and give it a couple twists. slide the next chopstick & do the same - twist the wire between chopsticks. continue the same way until you've used all the chopsticks. make a loop with the remaining wire for hanging by a string/rope. finally, since all the chopsticks are lined up, make them askew a bit - keep doing it to all of them until it forms a spiral of chopsticks. Hang & pray for a gentle breeze!

have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
doveylou
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010 05:44:52 PM »

Check out this link to a fun alteration for your chopsticks- you use the spring from a clothespin to connect two chopsticks together, making them easier to use for those of us are all thumbs.

http://www.atelier-v.ch/umdenken/sites/21.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010 11:40:47 PM »

I would wonder about if they could be melted a bit and made into bracelets - like the toothbrush ones that can be found in the jewelry forum (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347390.0).  They could be layered and glued together to make a frame.  Cut, drilled and decorated with wire wrapping, beads, etc to make a wall hanging, or windchime.  They could be made into knitting needles.

Personally, I think I would decorate the ends and turn them into hair sticks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
achgfd
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010 12:15:42 AM »

or you could make polymer clay mustaches and attach them to the sticks! So you always have one handy for a photo op.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

perspectivemouse
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 01:22:06 AM »

You should post a close-up of the chinese characters on the chopsticks. Not sure whether you care, but if you are interested to know, someone on craftster might be able to tell you what they say. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010 08:35:13 AM »

The symbols on the chopsticks probably say "help! I'm being held captive in a chopsticks factory".  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
suzeqz

Easily distracted by shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010 09:07:35 AM »

Well, the photo showed up and I have no idea how or why. Weird!

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm lovin' the "clothespin" chopsticks. A friend made a pair with a small piece of folded cardboard and a rubberband, but this looks SO much classier!

The bracelet idea is TOO good! I'd not thought of melting them and now I have GOT to give this a try, especially since the writing means they're pre-decorated, eh? As for the frame idea, now you've got my brain spinning! Multimedia collage, maybe? With wire or twine kind of "woven" between the frame's sides, with those wonderful coins with the hole in the middle tied in, maybe fortunes woven thru the twine, bits of ephemera and red tassels tucked in...WOW!

I did some reading up, and while the length is more Japanese, the tips are blunt and therefore Chinese. For the knitting needles, I'd need to sharpen the tips a bit more, right? Wonder how? And as for the hair picks, I could add lovely dangly things to the ends but again, I'd need to sharpen them a bit, as I did try getting them into my own hair and the blunt tip makes it difficult. And I found them a bit long. Any opinions on that? How to shorten and sharpen?

I've seen the wind spinners done with wood chopsticks. A pink one would be PERFECT for a girly-girl! I have a friend who's into all things 'geisha' -- wrong country, but I think she'd like it anyway.

"help! I'm being held captive in a chopsticks factory".  TOO FUNNY!  Cheesy Actually, I tried getting a close-up pic of the writing but I'm not getting good macro shots w/ my digital camera (and I obviously have no clue how to program my 'date stamp' either!). I'll keep trying now that I know my pics are showing in my posts. I would LOVE to have a translation!

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHA NKYOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/suzeqz
Frugal Holiday 3 swap - first swap completed!
EVILTWIN617
You say psycho like it's a bad thing...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010 08:04:55 AM »

I've seen several sites where somebody made a "sunburst" mirror out of chopsticks or skewers.  Just a small round piece of mirror, glue the chopsticks to the back, then back with a same-sized piece of wood, and a picture hanger.

Paint if you like and voila! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

My kids are the reason I was born.

I don't just embrace insanity, I feel it up, french kiss it and buy it a drink!
Meduza
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010 02:36:14 PM »

Personally, I think I would decorate the ends and turn them into hair sticks.

Agree with this idea 100%, make some polymer clay beads, pop them on the ends and bake and you have a product that could be sold.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No Churn Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Make-Ahead Desserts
How to Make a Banoffee Sundae
Biscuit-Topped Peach Cobbler Recipe
5 Fruit-Based Desserts to Satisfy a Summer Sweet Tooth
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...