A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting rid of spiders - non chemically  (Read 1507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sultrykitten
« on: July 03, 2010 01:55:58 PM »

So we just rented this really nice, older house. With a great yard, the whole back yard is garden space no grass. However the previous renter let it go wild, it is the most over grown yard I have ever seen lol. My problem is, the spiders LOVE LOVE LOVE it. literally in the front yard I have seen at least 100 spiders in various stages. Most appear to be daddy long legs, the back yard has it's far share that I have come across but  we haven't really gone crazy getting the back yard in order yet. I have seen some nasty looking spiders and have no idea what kind they are. I know some spiders are good for your garden and I'm not looking to kill them all, but rather get them under control. Sorry for the long winded explanation. So my question is, does anyone know of any kind of predatory bug or something that I can release in my yard to help get the spiders in balance before I start having nightmares lol. I know clearing it out will probably help a bunch but in the mean time I hate spiders am scared to death of them, so it is making it hard to get out there and do the work I want to do lol.

I would really like to stay away from spraying any chemicals of any kind, I'm just not that type of person I guess lol. And I don't want to deal with trying not to contaminate all the fruits and veggies I have started putting in the ground lol.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not getting too far with the google search lol.

Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010 07:12:03 PM »

well, my chickens have more than decimated my spider population since last year.  In the backyard anyway.  The front yard still has dozens of spiders per square foot.  So I know it's not just the weather or something other than the chickens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013 06:25:12 PM »

If I remember correctly there is a pin on pinterest linking to a website with non abrasive ways to repel insects
such as spiders.  I think it mentioned using peppermint oil in a diluted spray on the outsides of windows, and doors.
I guess you could call it chemical, but it is safe, and I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt any sort of plants it comes in touch
with.

Here is a link to a blog, not the one I first came upon, but it gives instructions.
http://www.jillshomeremedies.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-repel-spiders-naturally.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013 05:54:15 PM »

Spiders don't like water, once you get the jungle tamed and sprinklers set up the "balance" you are looking for will happen naturally.  If they need to be reduced in numbers in order for you to get out there taming the jungle I suggest a good watering before you go out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013 08:44:51 AM »

Is there another bug that the spiders are coming for? That might be something to look at too. Get rid of their food source.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013 12:24:29 PM »

I agree, once you get the grass cut and make less hideouts for them, they will find other places to hang out.  I've also heard that you can just ask them to leave and they will.... it's worth a shot!   

Hedgeballs work wonders, but they are not available year round.  I think in the fall you should be able to find them in your grocery store, probably by the root vegetables. They are wrinkly green things, hard and about the size of a big orange.  Spiders dont like the smell and will leave.  The hedgeballs shrink up as they age and don't really rot or anything.  I cut some in half and tossed them in my shed that was crawling with spiders, and I haven't seen any in there since (this was like 5 years ago!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013 01:02:22 PM »

It's going to sound like it's worse than the initial problem, but....wasps. Wasps are great for spider control. Where I live, we have many types of 'em, and some can (and do!) sting, but what we've found is if we don't destroy the wasp nests that are further out from our house (in the trees, out by the greenhouse, etc.), our spiders stay under control, for the most part. We do trash any nests on or very close to the house- we've got kids, and I'm allergic to stings- but we allow some to survive. For the most part, they don't bother us, but we do see them actively hunting spiders, all the time. The one exception to the rule is those big black and white hornets- we kill those, period, because they're flesh-eaters- they'll attack a person or pet before they'll do anything about the arachnids. But the yellowjackets and the little brachonids do a great job of controlling all kinds of pests. (Also, if you put out scraps of colored paper for the yellow jackets, they make amazing multi-colored nests out of the material!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013 11:24:25 AM »

Well now I feel justified in not tearing down the nests in my yard, I've always got a couple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013 01:38:20 PM »

I was about to suggest a hedgeball or 2 as well! Try a farmers market if your grocery store or coop doesn't have them. They are a fall season thing, though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013 01:43:21 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
tomico
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013 05:00:32 PM »

Praying mantids eat everything. Also, mascovy ducks and guinea fowl are good for reducing insect populations.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Color Schemes From the Color Wheel
How to Understand Colors for Home Decorating
Photo Retouching and Compositing Examples
How to use ADT Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Priorities
How to Use REVIT MEP 2008 - Building an HVAC System
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...