A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nautical Tank Top from Baggy Shirts--Tutorial  (Read 1796 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fanciful
« on: July 03, 2010 09:53:06 AM »

I've been thinking a lot about ways of upcycling my giant t-shirt collection. I've donated a lot of it to charity, but every now and then a few shirts that I swore I gave away will fall out of my closet, reminding me that somewhere in a pocket dimension, my collection is still huge. So I decided to take two of those shirts and make them into something actually attractive. here's the final:

EDIT: Just realized that linking to my blog falls into the "shameless self-promotion" category. Here's a copied/pasted tutorial:

MATERIALS:

* One white, baggy t-shirt. It can have writing on it, as long as theres about 11″ that doesnt have anything printed on it at the bottom, and maybe a little extra at the sides or top for straps.
    * One blue t-shirt. This one doesnt have to be baggy. It can also have writing on it.
    * Two buttons in either white or blue
    * Scissors
    * Glue
    * Sewing Machine (or needle and thread, yadda yadda)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Cut off the bottom of the blue shirt, as close to the bottom of any lettering as possible. In fact, leave just the bottom edge of the lettering; you can hide it in the seams. If you have a smallish blue shirt, as I did, youll want as much material as possible on the bottom. When paired with the white shirt, it should look likeabsolutely nothing. See photo:
   2. Turn the piece of the blue shirt inside out and put it over your head. Using the Pinch-and-Pin Method, which is exactly what it sounds like, follow the contours of your body. Dont poke yourself with a pin a million times like I did. Pull this new tube off over your head, reposition any pins that dont form a smooth line, and sew along the line of pins. Remember to take out the pins as you go; if you sew over a pin it will FLY OFF AND HIT YOU IN THE EYE AAAAAAGH* Your new tube should look something like this:
   3. Take out that white baggy t-shirt, and cut off the top, leaving no writing. Take this second tube and lay it out next to your contoured tube. Now heres where things get tricky. If the white shirt is way bigger than the blue shirt, slim it down by making a line of pins on either side so that the shirt is only about an inch wider on either side of the blue shirt. Sew along these lines.
   4. Turn both shirts inside out. Pin the side seams together so that that ugly edge sticks out, towards you. Now you have to account for that extra fabric on the top tube. Make pleats (fold the fabric over itself) twice on the left side, and twice on the right, as symmetrically as you can. Pin all the way around the shirt, doing the back in the same fashion. Sew up this seam.
   5. Fold the raw edge at the top of the white shirt, and then fold it over again, and pin in place. Sew this edge down so that no raw edge is visible.
   6. Make two straps. This is so easy. You take two pieces of fabric of a little more than twice the width you want, fold them over, sew, and then turn them inside out. Have a friend pin them into place on your shirt so that they cover your bra straps. Sew in place, and then sew a button over the join between shirt and strap in the front on either side.
   7. Now draw an anchor. Or print one off the Internet. I wont judge.
   8. Cut out your anchor and use it as a template to cut out an anchor made of fabric from the sleeve of your white t-shirt. I decided that I wanted my anchor to be chubbier than the one I drew, so I would have room to sew it on.
   9. Now, pin your cloth anchor to your shirt where you want it. Sewing its gonna be hard, and I made the mistake of assuming itd be easier with a piece of anchor-shaped paper over the anchor. If youre going to do that, dont do what I did: for the love of Pete, dont glue it on. It will not come off and youll have to pick at it for about half an hour and hope that the little fragments come out in the wash.

Sew on your anchor, SLOWLY. You might want to do this by hand. Doing it by machine was kind of haphazard and dangerous because the machine always did one more stitch after I told it to stop.

Et voila! You are done!

The technique you just used, I am told, is called applique. You could probably look it up and use it to customize this shirt; it would probably look equally stunning as an aeronautical shirt with a zeppelin on it. Or you could make it in a different set of two colors and add a color-appropriate applique design of your own. Actually, come to think of it, why didnt I make one with a zeppelin on it?

*Im not sure if this is true. It might be an urban legend. Take no chances.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 03:33:28 PM by Fanciful » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fontiua
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010 10:02:09 AM »

super cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
BoyceMachine
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010 11:09:09 AM »

Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

www.wists.com/Boycemachine
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010 11:55:35 AM »

I would totally wear that! It's supercute!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
How to Make Your Hair grow Faster
How to Use a Hot Rod in Hair Curling
Brad Graham on His Favorite Razors
How to Make Your Gray Hair Disappear in 60 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...