A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Green Idea Chain Game  (Read 17632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkrose020
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2012 09:51:05 AM »

1. You can glue them to the outside of glass candle holders (such as in the link) to make rustic candle holders. http://www.homedit.com/beautiful-diy-wood-sticks-candle-holders/

2. You could make a star burst wreath or a star burst mirror.  Maybe spray paint them silver for a cool futuristic look.

3. You could use some of them to make antlers on a deer sculpture, if you're sculpturally inclined.

4. Oh! and what I did with the small twigs was use them for the base of God's Eyes. http://gingerbreadsnowflakes.com/node/73  I love how this person beads hers. I'm planning to do this when I get more yarn.  I already have the beads, monofilament and twigs!

OK, now...what can I do with old blankets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2012 04:38:11 PM »

You could: make wreaths, use them to cover the outsides of pillar candles to make them more decorative, make fire starters by wrapping them in dryer lint (just make sure it's natural fiber)...umm.  Probably more, but that is it off the top of my head.

What can you do with all those "silly bands" that the kids no longer want, but you still have all over the house?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dr. Craft
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012 05:14:48 AM »

Old blankets can be easily turned into tote bags (particularly because they are already "lined". Just cut one 18x36 inch rectangle (or double the approximate size you want at the end) and two pieces that are 5x20 for the handles (or adjust to the length you want.
Then with right sides together, sew the sides of the main piece, and fold in the open top about 1 inch all around and seam to get a finished top. Fold the long edges of the pieces for handles to meet in the center, pin and sew down that seam with a wide zigzag stich. Attach the handles as you want and you're done.
There are simple variants that can make this nicer with plenty of tutorials on line.

Or, if you don't need totes or don't sew, donate them to dog shelters (at least the one near us takes old blankets and towels that the dogs use to play and chew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dr. Craft
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012 12:35:32 PM »

Forgot to include the next item to use up:

What can you do with double knit fabric (that synthetic stuff from the 70s - wears like iron, but really heavy and generally uncomfortable)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThriftyLiving4U

Walking around with paint on my fingers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2012 03:38:28 PM »

Double knit fabric:  Make fabric yarn (cut into small strips) and crochet/knit a rug.

Different way to use PET bottles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap for art of my fur babies

My Pinterest
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2012 04:23:22 PM »

Had to google that. It isn't good to melt any type of plastic, and I don't know what ways you are referring to, I just recycle that type of things, but if I had any of those I wanted to craft something for, if they are clear I would fill with colored water and hang in a window for color, but if they are dark, I can't help you.

I have a lot of broken jewelry and no tools. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2012 10:01:54 PM »

Are you wanting to mend it or make something with it? Necklaces, or all kinds of jewelry? A couple of pairs of cheap pliers will let you do a lot. You could use old jewelry to make new jewelry, you could use necklaces in a windchime or mobile to look pretty. Just hang them up in a window. Clip earrings can be shoe clips to dress up your shoes, or made into pins and brooches. Earrings can become thumbtacks on a bulletin board. Or just offer to trade it to someone else for supplies you will use, put it in your sig.
And, I don't have a question of my own to add-next person?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code craftster,10%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2012 01:35:59 PM »

Those are excellent ideas, mostly necklaces. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2012 07:11:30 AM »

My "silly bands" got skipped.  Looks like there were two replies at once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2012 08:20:30 AM »

I might have thought of something, but unfortunately I don't know what silly bands are Sad. I know, no kids=no clue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tuna Maki Part 1/2
How to Use Sake Lees
Making Langzhou Noodles
Making Kimchi with David Chang
Green Papaya Soup with Lobster and Turmeric
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...