A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Green Idea Chain Game  (Read 18662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peabodylover187
« on: July 02, 2010 03:48:34 PM »

hey let start an idea chain... someone else made one but that was in 2006 so i am updating it!!
so all you do is post and idea to someone question and then ask one yourself so lets start Smiley

What could I do with bottle caps??

2006's thread for ideas.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=115657.0
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013 05:10:44 AM by MissingWillow - Reason: Changed title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010 08:46:12 PM »

Response:
I love this coaster idea to make funky coasters! Theres even a tutorial!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247768.0

Question:
What should I do with tons of old brand new ink cartridges for printers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010 08:24:28 PM »

Answers: Freecycle.org, Salvation Army thrift store, to give them away
             If you want to sell them - kijiji or ebay
             some areas have elementary schools that collect them as a fundraising project
             There are sites that pay for your cartridges (empty)                           http://www.freerecycling.com/
             If you want to use the ink from them for crafts, I've seen crafted multicoloured coffee filters that are turned into pretty flowers. just dampen the filter and set the cartridge on it, the ink will wick out onto the filter and looks kinda tie-dyed.
set the filter out to dry & make a "tissue paper flower" or there's a tutorial here how to make coffee filter flowers - under paper crafting. (you basically cut your petals out and wrap them all together)

Or do the same thing with a cotton t-shirt - dampen & sit the cartridges on it to bleed the colours out - repeat as necessary

Question: What do I do with my propane barbeque? The knobs broke, the burners need replacing & the frame has rusty spots. The easy answer is take it to a metal recycler - I'm just curious

Okay...It seems this idea chain has stalled - how about:

Question: What do I do with these styrofoam inserts? We don't have styrofoam recycling here
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=371708&cat=500&ppuser=198624
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010 09:07:44 PM by seleniebeanie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010 05:18:32 PM »

Oh, man, if that styrofoam were mine, I'd have them organizing little crafty and other items, pour and mix paint in them, and break them into chunks to put in the bottom of those planters with the huge holes in the bottom so the soil doesn't fall out.

Question: What could be done with dried-out, washable kiddie markers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peabodylover187
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010 10:24:52 AM »

well you could try to take the ink out and store something like  beads
or you could take the ink out of them and drill a hole in them and make earings with the caps

hope that helps

what could i do with corks from wine bottles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kali_akash
Proud, in a modest, non-hubris kinda way :)

Are those turkey vultures? Wait, are you a zombie

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010 04:26:37 PM »

I'd take some heavy-duty gauge wire, shape it into funky shapes to hold up papers and insert it into the corks to make paper or picture holders. If you've got small kids, you can paint them to look like fish, take a paperclip, insert it into the top side or where the fish mouth would be, float them in water and have your kids go 'fishing' with dowel-rod fishing poles strung with string and another bent paperclip 'hook'.

What can I do with pop-cans? We're off the recycling route (and the folks don't recycle) so I'd like to know interesting ways to use them. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to a personal swap for a good sleep mask!!! Inquire within the PM box!
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 09:58:44 PM »

My current favorite thing to do with aluminum cans is permanent plant tags.  Cut the can into strips, then use an old ballpoint, a stylus, or even a knitting needle to emboss the info.  You can stick the tag into the dirt, or curl it around a stem.  Doesn't fade or rot!

What can I do with stiff clear plastic packaging?

Lee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenSidney
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010 02:49:01 PM »

Sew the plastic into the bottoms of a purse or grocery bag to help them keep their shape. Also makes nice flat dolls if you cut into the shape of a person/animal and cover with felt or a thinner fabric to use as a book mark.

What can I do with 25 industrial sized spools of thread?

~Smelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010 05:25:53 PM »

Ever try lacemaking? Thread is wonderful for that (if you can keep track of it!) and turns out a beautiful product. Also, get ahold of any local weavers that might be interested in using a two-or three- colored weft. I persoanlly have a two-colored shuttle (the shuttle itself is loaded wdith two different colors, which makes for an interesting effect in the finished product).

You could also check into donating them toward schools or organisations that teach people how to make their own clothing and such, and go on from there.

My question: What do I do with a number of old (think vintage 70's) bath towels that my OH has an emotional attachment to, but are tattered enough to be rather useless?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010 08:53:12 PM »

Perhaps cut out the good bits, and put them on a backing-a sheet, perhaps?-and make an awesome shower curtain? Or if you're an expert sewer, isn't towel material similar to terry cloth bathrobes? make/embellish a robe to wear?

What can I do with too small belts, besides give them away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make CD Crafts
How to Make Candy Cane Bath Salts
How to Make a Zombie Costume
How to Make a Scrapbook Cover
How to Make a Soda Bottle Rocket
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...