A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sunset coloured covertible skirt/dress (img heavy)  (Read 16267 times)
Tags for this thread: sheet , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Seonaid
« on: July 02, 2010 05:42:13 AM »

This skirt was made from a king single flat sheet. It had every reason to go wrong, but somehow ended up right.

I wanted to make a Kariza style double layered skirt. I looked online and found that these type of skirts are 1/2 to 3/4 circle skirts attached to a long waistband with one or more buttonholes to pass the straps through.

The first issue was the sheet itself. It was about $10, and a dingy lemon colour.

I immediately decided to dye it, and picked up some iDye from a local craft store for about $10.
When I got home, I took a closer look at the sheet I had bought.

I had stupidly overlooked the fact the sheet I bought was poly cotton, not pure cotton. The dye I bought was suited to natural fibres. I returned to the craft store, only to find that they didn't have any of the iDye Poly.

The second problem came after I had resigned my self to dye it with the dye I had. I had already decided I wanted a gradient effect for the top panel, but I couldn't decide what I wanted for the bottom.
The original idea was to try a wheat paste resist technique, as seen here: http://eyesaflame.blogspot.com/2008/06/demo-flour-paste-batik.html. My version didn't work as well as the one shown there, so  washed all the wheat paste off before I even tried to dye it.

I then discovered shibori, a traditional Japanese technique. Shibori comes in many different forms, the one I chose is known as Mokume. There's more information on the technique found here: http://entwinements.com/blog-mt3/2007/04/mokume.html. The stitching went okay, but using long threads caused knotting, tangling and frustration.

When I finished all the stitching, I retrieved the other half of the skirt from my craft room. I had put the scraps in one area, planning to use them as interlining for a few small projects and the skirt in the other, to prevent me confusing the two. You can probably guess which one I cut up. Which brings us to problem number three:

Can you see the weird, chunky piece that's missing? The skirt has been folded in half to get across just how much is missing. Luckily, since I hadn't cut up any of the scraps, I managed to find one large enough to cover most of the gap.

The fourth (and final) problem was encountered during the dyeing process. I dyed the fabric on the stove top so I could and have more control and achieve the gradient effect. While working with the shibori piece, I followed the instructions to agitate the fabric in the pot for 30 minutes. During this time, a few of the threads broke. After 20 minutes of stirring, I realised that constant agitation was probably not the best method for this kind of resist technique, so the effect on the final product it much more subtle than originally intended.

This is a close up of the shibori.

Weirdly enough, the gradient effect worked just as I had intended.

This was my first attempt at both of these techniques.
Finally, when it was all put together, it actually worked. I was pleasantly surprised.
The skirt is meant to be able to be tied over 100 ways. These are some of my favourites:

The addition of a belt helped things to look a bit less tent-like

(this one is my favourite)

Please ignore any mess in the background or goofy faces.

So, why did I decide to a light, convertible, summery skirt/dress/thing? If you haven't picked up from the spelling, I'm from Australia. Right now it's winter, and most nights the temperature drops below -6 degrees Celsius (about 21 degrees Fahrenheit). I needed something light, bright and summery to cheer me up during the bleak, dreary winter days. Now I just have to figure out what to wear it with. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for reading my giant entry!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010 07:24:36 PM by Seonaid » THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010 05:56:49 AM »

Your convertile skirt/dress rocks!  It would be perfect for traveling! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010 05:58:12 AM »

LOVE IT!!!  Thanks for sharing your journey in making it!  Dyeing is also a lot of trial and error for me.  But that is part of the fun!  And I have a lot of "happy mistakes."  Your "mistakes" came out great!  I love the style of the dress and the combo of the two dye techniques.  You did a great job!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010 06:08:40 AM »

i just looooove the dying of this dress!  The close-up shot of the post-stringbreak is so beautiful.  I am very glad it all worked out.  congratulations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
jennilocker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 06:22:35 AM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!!!

Awesome job!

I hit this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010 06:40:57 AM »

LOVE IT!  I can see it over a cream colored fuzzy sweater, maybe with a turtle neck. 
Did you say where you got the pattern, or is there a site you could direct us to so we can make our own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arryl
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010 07:11:22 AM »

Beautiful!  I love the gradient.  Is the dress difficult to construct?  I really enjoy dresses like that, so I'm tempted to make one (with slight alterations). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 07:22:40 AM »

I love this dress
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
r.forslund
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010 07:38:12 AM »

i absolutely love everything about this!! amazing job.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seonaid
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010 07:55:15 AM »

Wow, I didn't expect so many fast responses!
For those who asked how to make this skirt, go here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=162868.0 and scroll down to the line drawing. It's even got measurements!
I put three button holes in my waistband to make it more flexible, one in the center, and one halfway between the center and the edge on each side.
Hope that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...