A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Total beginner, so is this insane?  (Read 2591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tailte
« on: July 02, 2010 02:02:31 AM »

I've fallen in love with this: http://artecyshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_34&products_id=1204 and various other cross stitch patterns on that site. The thing is, the only cross stitch I've ever done was a bookmark when I was a kid that I never finished. So, I realize it would probably be better to start with something simpler. But I don't want to, I want to make THAT one. So I have two questions:

Will that pattern be waaaaaay too complicated and just a waste of money because it will end up in a mess?

And,

If I end up doing that one, what are some important things I need to know in regards to following a cross stitch pattern/doing cross stitch?

*eagerly awaits any advice*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://overaway.blogspot.com
It's about art, craft and other miscellaneous occurrences.

My cooking blog: http://meri-somethingsweet.blogspot.com
CarrottessSparklepaws
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010 05:05:26 AM »

Heck, I say go for it.  You'll learn as you go.  Go big or go home, they say.  I figured if I'm bored doing a project, then I might quit, so I'll just do something that'll hold my interest.  Shoot, I'm on my 4th embroidery project ever, and have a 9 foot pattern waiting to be started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can call me Beka Smiley
No stitchy makes me twitchy
A Dream is a Wist Your Heart Makes...
My Pinterest
babskitchen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010 06:03:27 AM »

Boy, I don't know.  Although I always tell people, "if you can count, you can cross-stitch," that one looks long and difficult.  76 colors???  That's a lot of colors to be messing with.  I've been cross-stitch for almost 25 years now and think you'll end up getting frustrated with it.  There are so many nice patterns out there, I would start with something a little bit simpler.  Unless you will be stitching several hours each and every day, my guess is this one will take you at least a year to finish, if not longer.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010 07:26:38 AM by kittykill - Reason: To comply with Craftster's guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010 02:21:48 PM »

Well, it depends on if you're ok with having an ongoing project for what can be YEARS. 

According to the description, that one is made entirely of whole cross stitches- that is a good thing for simplicity; however, it's really REALLY huge.  The entire piece has 35,420 cross stitches.  Relatively simple or not, that is a LOT of stitching.   Shocked

I'm not at all trying to discourage you.  If you're willing to put that much time into it, I think you should go for it!  Just realize it's going to take forever and a day.  Sometimes it helps to stop when you're sick of looking at a bit one and work on something small- just to give yourself the satisfaction of finishing something.

I have a huge piece I've been working on since 04 or 05.  It's an on and off project- mostly off!   Grin  I'm sort of sick of looking at it, but it's going to look awesome when it's done. 

Even if you're new to cross stitch, I do think you can do this one if you have the patients for it.  I'd recommend you use a highlighter on the chart as you go, to help mark off the completed areas.  If you're willing to spend another $10 or so, pick up some of that EZ-Count Guideline stuff, which allows you to create a removable grid directly on your cloth.  It takes a few minutes to set up before you start stitching, but is SOOOOO helpful for me to knock out large pieces faster. 

When you work on a big piece, just make sure you take your time.  Keep the thread lengths in check (to help prevent huge and frustrating tangles), and there's nothing wrong with cutting and ending a color only to restart a few squares over.  It helps keep the back from getting too puffy.  Do you have any specific questions in particular?  I'll be glad to answer what I can!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Tailte
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 06:57:09 PM »

Thankyou for the replies. While I am ok with having an ongoing project, I think I will start with something simpler. I would like to do something I can actually finish, and while that other one is awesome I can see myself getting increasingly frustrated with the amount of work. This one http://artecyshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=498 is smaller and has less colours, so perhaps it might be a better starting point. It says to use 14 or 18 count aida, which would be better?

Listessa, that EZ-count stuff looks really helpful. Couldn't you just use normal thread though?

Also, I have questions about cross stitch in general. Well, one. But there will probably be more once I actually start stitching. Do you need to use a specific kind of needle or will any do?

CarrottessSparklepaws (great username by the way  Cheesy) that nine foot embroidery project sounds impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:

Stars in a Spacecraft
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010 12:52:49 AM »

The thing about the easy count grid thread is that it's nylon, so you're not gonna accidentally split it with your needle, or have any trouble removing it after it just slides right out.

And I am by NO means an expert, I'm just getting back into the craft, so others feel free to correct me... but I think it's best to use needles made for needleworking, the end is more rounded so you will be less likely to split your thread while you're stitching beside already created stitches.

And my personal opinion on starting a new craft is... if the thought of making any item, no matter how large or complicated it might seem, inspires you... then by all means, do it. My first knit project was a backpack, from the S&B books, complete with intarsia, zipper, and lining (I'd never really sewn, either). That was years back, and I still love it and use it. Can't bring myself to finish a dishcloth or scarf, however.

Right now, I'm just getting back into cross stitch after over a decade of putting it down (15 years, I think). My first project will be larger than any project I ever did as a child, I'm making it for a friend, and already I have plans for even larger projects, as well as a bunch of tiny projects for my friend to sell at the convention he's going to. Had I chosen to start with a sampler, or a small uninspiring image, I'd probably have to force myself to pick it up. Now I can't wait to get home so I can stitch! It's an exhilarating feeling to be making something you adore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010 02:10:08 AM »

The guideline stuff is basically a bright red version of a 4 or 5 lb test fishing line.  Regular thread would catch on the stitching and might make removal more difficult when you're done.  This stuff just glides right out. 

Or you could try and find some light fishing line in a color that stands out against many colors too.  I attempted, but didn't really save all that much money, and the closest line in size I found is a bit more difficult to see against a light background since it's yellow.  Great for stitching on dark fabric now, but not as utilitarian as the actual product.  Cheesy 

As for needles, I'd recommend using a tapestry needle.  They have blunt tips, and a longer loop of an eye which works great for cross stitching.  The regular sewing needles would work too, but I think I'd stab the living heck out of my fingertips with them, and the smaller eyes are a bit more irksome to repeatedly thread with two strands.  Smiley 
A size 24 tapestry needle is great for 14 count piece.  If you're stitching something on a higher count (16 or more), I'd recommend a 26 since it's a smaller needle. 

As for size, do you want the piece to end up being larger or smaller?  The advantage to the 18 count would be a finished piece that appears more intricate and detailed.  The disadvantage is that the small holes sometimes get irritating to see if you're stitching when you're tired.  I really, REALLY, like stitching on a higher count fabric.  I think the stitching looks neat when it's smaller.  A 14 count would still give you a gorgeous finished project, and might be something better to start off with as a first piece. 
It's really up to your own preference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010 07:32:21 AM »

It would be time consuming and a little complicated but it definitely gives you a project on rainy days. I say go for it!  I say go for it and follow the pattern but do it your way. It will turn out beautiful. Read the directions, get the gist of it and do it your way.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Tailte
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010 06:47:32 PM »

Thanks for all the advice!  Grin I think I will go for my first choice. In my search I came across the same pattern for less than half the price, the only thing is it has less colours. The picture still looks good: http://www.pinoystitch.org/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&cPath=2_69&products_id=1546 But it is slightly less detailed than the other one. But I do like the soft, quiet darkness of it. Whereas the other one has sharp, bright details. Am I right in thinking that it is better to go for the one with more colours (for the sake of quality)?

Also, I have found this : http://www.vicstitch.com.au/p/819473/dmc-magic-guide-aida-14-count---ecru---per-fat-quarter.html it has pattern guides printed straight on it that wash out. It seems like if I get that, and not the EZ-guide it will cut the cost down a bit. But will it be as effective? I can't think how it wouldn't be, apart from with the EZ-guide you can control exactly where the grid is.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:

lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010 11:40:40 AM »

Go for it. I mean it. I have some ongoing projects that have been that way for over a decade now, and I try to go back to them a few times a year.

But, I also put smaller projects in and around it, to give me a feeling of accomplishing something quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Melt Chocolate, the Right Way!
How to Make Healthy Banana Ice Cream
How to Make Mummy Cupcakes
Blueberry-Ricotta Tart Recipe
Edible Eyeball Jelly For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...