A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Powder *With Tute*  (Read 17334 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010 03:29:09 PM »

Awesome. I saw one recipe that just had equal parts of borax and washing soda, but this would smell nice and lemony. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells washing soda. Neither of my regular grocery stores do. It's very frustrating.

I eventually found washing soda at Ace Hardware store. I don't know if you have one but i'd suggest trying hardware stores first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010 04:51:11 PM »

Hi, SpicyTaco!
I had a hard time finding washing soda, finally found Super Washing Soda by Arm & Hammer at a Fred Meyer grocery store here in Oregon (FM stores are mostly in the Pacific Northwest).  Looked at your profile here and see that you're in Canada...  Don't have any suggestions...
Just in case they call it something different in Canada, Wikipedia describes it thus:  "Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda, soda crystals or soda ash or "Soda Carbonate"), Na2CO3, is a sodium salt of carbonic acid."
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010 02:58:34 PM »

I just made this recipe and tried it out .. man does it work wonders! My dishes are cleaner than before and so is the inside of my dishwasher. Thank you for posting this recipe .. I was using palmolive eco, but, I'm going to stick to this from now on.   I found my citric acid at a local metaphysical supply store, that sells soap making supplies and herbs. You can also buy it online at Mountain Rose herbs .. They also sell the washing soda and borax.  just an fyi Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(

My Wists~Solay Products~
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010 03:13:59 PM »

I'm glad this worked out for you! Thank you for your website recommendation, I've never been there before but they have so many things at good prices too!
The koolaid packets haven't been successful for me, but i think straight citric acid would do me better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010 11:27:02 AM »

I <3 Mountain Rose Herbs site lol .. they have fantastic prices and quick shipping. I make my own herbal salves and lip balms and am learning to make other things as well. If I can't find it locally, I get my stuff from them. Good luck with the citric acid ... I was cleaning out my dishwasher a few months back and noticed all that plasticy stuff too ... now my water gets really, really hot and still wasn't melting the packets fully. I stopped using them after I found all that gunk in the drain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(

My Wists~Solay Products~
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010 09:25:19 AM »

Going to be trying this soon. Found some washing soda at the Loblaws. (I almost missed it cause it was in a blue box instead of yellow like all the pics I've seen.) Now I just need some citric acid...but I might try it without cause I need some like now. Gonna make some laundry soap too soon. Then I'll officially make all my cleaning supplies.

Thanks again for sharing this recipe and all the tips on finding washing soda. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010 10:48:32 AM »

Going to be trying this soon. Found some washing soda at the Loblaws. (I almost missed it cause it was in a blue box instead of yellow like all the pics I've seen.) Now I just need some citric acid...but I might try it without cause I need some like now. Gonna make some laundry soap too soon. Then I'll officially make all my cleaning supplies.

Thanks again for sharing this recipe and all the tips on finding washing soda. Tongue

You definitely want citric acid tho, otherwise your glasses will be all foggy (unless you're ok with it or just gonna do non glass items until you get citric acid).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty_cow
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011 11:16:04 AM »

Hello,

Quick question - would I be able to add a drop of essential oil to this mix? I've got all the stuff (citric acid included), but like the idea of a nice smell... Maybe one or 2 drops to add a slight scent to it? Or would this react with other ingredients?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Totally addicted to felt
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011 07:16:42 PM »

Hello,

Quick question - would I be able to add a drop of essential oil to this mix? I've got all the stuff (citric acid included), but like the idea of a nice smell... Maybe one or 2 drops to add a slight scent to it? Or would this react with other ingredients?

Thanks!

I don't see why not, but I would stick with a citrus essential oil like an orange or a lemon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chicnjoy
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011 07:47:04 AM »

I hope this thread is still alive!
My question is about the white vinegar, is there a risk that the vinegar starts to eat the interns plastics parts of my dish washer, do you always use vinegar ?
This is a very good tutorial, thanks a lot I'm going to try it a soon as the supermarket detergent I bought yesterday will be finished.
Great way to save money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stir fry and Blanching - Chinese Cooking Techniques
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make a Stir Fry Meal
How to Make Yakitori
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...