A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Powder *With Tute*  (Read 18805 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2010 10:33:40 PM »

**note: I wasn't sure where to put this at all. I was thinking of putting it where the laundry soap is since they're very similar, but that's bath and beauty and this is kitchen but doesn't fall under home sweet home or cooking :/ If a mod comes by this and thinks it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move!**

Just wanted to give a little back story on this: I was using a combination of the dishwasher gel and dishwasher tabs with the plastic that melts off in the wash in my dishwasher and i kept having problems with our dishwasher "suddenly" not cleaning as well as before even though nothing has changed in the way we washed them. One day, my husband had to take apart our dishwasher (the bottom part that collects all the crud and drains it out) and found large masses of what looked like plastic. After some internet research (a whole lot of googling going on) we found out that the gels and the tabs with the plastic bit that melts off are actually the worst things for dishwashers! also there's a very good chance that our hot water doesn't get hot enough to completely dissolve the plastic so it's still thick when it hits the drain area and gets clogged there. That's when my hubby put me on the task of making my own dishwasher detergent since I already make our own laundry detergent. And if you make your own laundry detergent, you already have most of the ingredients that you will need to make this.

Materials:
  • 2/3 cup borax
  • 2/3 cup washing soda
  • 1/3 cup citric acid (in the form of unsweetened lemonade koolaid powder packets, 12 ct)
  • 1/3 cup sea salt (or coarse kosher salt)
  • Bucket/container (at least 1 quart in size)

Basically you want a 2 to 1 ratio for everything, where as the 2 is borax and washing soda, and the 1 is citric acid and salt. So if you wanted to do a full cup of borax and washing soda, you would need 1/2 cups of citric acid and salt.
I basically based my measurements above using the 2:1 depending on how much powder were in the 12 koolaid packets that I had.

Which turned out to be roughly 1/3rd of a cup

Then I measured out the 2/3rd cups of Washing Soda and Borax

Then I measured the 1/3rd cup of sea salt (i did not have coarse kosher salt around, but i will use that instead in the future because it is cheaper; The reason for the salt is it basically helps to attack the crud and loosen it up on your dishes)

I tossed everything in this multi purpose quart container with lid that i bought from the hardware store, put the lid on it and shook it all about. lol In case you can't see in this picture, this made approximately 14 ounces of dishwasher detergent powder, which at the recommended 1 tablespoon per load = 28 loads of dishes. What a serious bargin!

I then tested this on a nearly full load of dishes...

I then put half a tablespoon in the "pre-wash" compartment, and half a tablespoon in the main compartment (the one that closes with a lid)

And let it go on the "pots and pans" cycle which is the longest wash cycle on my dishwasher.

About an hour or two later............

Nice clean dishes with no foggy glasses!

And there you have it kids. You're No longer a slave to the "man" (sorta)!

Just to give credit where credit is due, I got a little help from this blog post: http://diynatural.com/simple-effective-jabs-homemade-dishwasher-detergent-rinse-agent/
I totally recommend you take a peek at that because he includes a break down of just how much money you are saving by making your own dishwashing detergent. Grin

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also used vinegar in the rinse aid compartment, i hear it works really well and is super cheap. I already had a ton of vinegar on hand because it is also a good replacement for fabric softner in your clothing washer machine Grin

I put those little packets that they put in shoe boxes into my detergent jar to keep it dry and it seems to be working fine!

These little packets are called Silica Gel Packets and can easily be found in shoe boxes. Thanks for the tip, alwaysinmyroom!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012 01:50:52 PM by DesignVigilante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 11:03:58 PM »

Thanks! I'll be whipping a batch of this up tomorrow  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010 07:26:08 AM »

Considering I'm just re-running my dishwasher because the glasses look disgusting, this couldn't have come at a better time for me.  Definitely going to have to get supplies to do this.

Does it have to be the lemonade, or can it be one of the other flavors (I'm thinking invisible watermelon kiwi, as I figure the colors will be a problem)?

Oh, and I'd been using those plastic wrapped gel tabs for a few months too, until suddenly, my dishes weren't as clean as I thought they were.  Sad  It'd be nice if the dishwasher would just clean the dishes like it's supposed to, you know?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010 07:27:52 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010 09:41:34 AM »

Considering I'm just re-running my dishwasher because the glasses look disgusting, this couldn't have come at a better time for me.  Definitely going to have to get supplies to do this.

Does it have to be the lemonade, or can it be one of the other flavors (I'm thinking invisible watermelon kiwi, as I figure the colors will be a problem)?

Oh, and I'd been using those plastic wrapped gel tabs for a few months too, until suddenly, my dishes weren't as clean as I thought they were.  Sad  It'd be nice if the dishwasher would just clean the dishes like it's supposed to, you know?

That's exactly what happened to me. I have a portable dishwasher that attaches to the faucet also, so the plastic wrapped tabs also might have a smaller tube to go through than a regular built in one. And like I said my hot water might not get hot enough. I totally feel you, when my hubby took ours apart i had already went thru 5 cycles with that current load of dishes and was so frustrated! And I couldn't figure out why at the time so it felt like it was messing up for no reason :/

The reason for the lemonade koolaid is for the citric acid. The citric acid from my understanding is what makes the glasses clear and shiney. I'm not sure if other flavors would work since Citric Acid comes from citrus based fruits like Lemon or Orange, but other brands would work as long as it is unsweetened. You can also buy pure citric acid in a container, but i haven't found it locally just online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 01:14:02 PM »

Oooh what an awesome idea!  I'll have to pick up the Kool-Aid when I go to the store tomorrow.  My name-brand is not working well at all for some reason, leaving a nasty film on my dishes.  Cheesy

I'll also try the vinegar trick too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010 01:33:23 PM »

Just called my local health food store and they carry the citric acid in the spice/herb section for $6.39 per pound.  Now just gotta mix me up a batch - perfect timing for your recipe as we just ran out of our name-brand soap and have it on our shopping list!  Thank you!
PS using this cute recipe card maker to, ah, make a recipe card to tape to my container and also to put a copy in my recipe box for future reference:
http://www.skiptomylou.org/recipe-card-maker/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010 01:34:26 PM »

Oooh what an awesome idea!  I'll have to pick up the Kool-Aid when I go to the store tomorrow.  My name-brand is not working well at all for some reason, leaving a nasty film on my dishes.  Cheesy
I'll also try the vinegar trick too!

Thanks for the comment and favorite-ing my tutorial! I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me. Grin
I generally buy a large like two gallon container of vinegar, it is such a great universal cleaner and has so many uses! It's been a great fabric softener for me with my homemade laundry soap. I also hear it's a great general purpose cleaner if you use 1 part vinegar to two parts water in a squirt bottle. You can clean your counters by spraying it down with the vinegar solution, letting it sit for a bit, and rinsing it down with water and a clean sponge or wash cloth. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 01:39:26 PM »

Just called my local health food store and they carry the citric acid in the spice/herb section for $6.39 per pound.  Now just gotta mix me up a batch - perfect timing for your recipe as we just ran out of our name-brand soap and have it on our shopping list!  Thank you!
PS using this cute recipe card maker to, ah, make a recipe card to tape to my container and also to put a copy in my recipe box for future reference:
http://www.skiptomylou.org/recipe-card-maker/

You know, I have a lassen's (which is a health/vitamin/organic type store) and I was wondering if they might carry citric acid. If it's similarly priced, it'd probably be cheaper in the long run since I paid about $1.50 for my 12 packets of koolaid that only gave me 1/3rd of a cup (plus i wouldn't have to open each packet one at a time lol). I think I'll go take a look before I make another batch! Smiley

BTW- great idea to print the recipe and put it on the container. I'd probably put the ratio numbers (two parts borax and washing soda to one part salt and citric acid) instead of my exact recipe so you can make more or less as you wish. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010 02:36:34 PM »

DesignVigilante, that's exactly what I did - 2 parts this, 1 part that, on the recipe card. "Great minds think alike" I may send one of the cards to my daughter...  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010 03:20:49 PM »

Awesome. I saw one recipe that just had equal parts of borax and washing soda, but this would smell nice and lemony. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells washing soda. Neither of my regular grocery stores do. It's very frustrating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Bridge
The Food Pyramid Design
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Her Health Minute with Artist Darin Grandmason
How a Manufacturer Innovates ECommerce Operations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...