A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with jammie pants!  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 01, 2010 08:25:52 PM »

Hey ladies,
I'm having a bit of trouble with some pants.  I'm not a novice sewer, but this was my first attempt at jammie pants for my two year old son.  I used the snuggle flannel from JoAnn's for the project.  They turned out great, but I'm having difficulty with the seam on the seat busting out.  So tell me, what is the best method for sewing that seam so that it remains sturdy and can stand up to the abuse a toddler will give?  Also, I'm assuming standard thread is ok for this?
I'm sort of wondering if I need to repair those that are done already with just two lines of stitches and do future pairs with a felled seam or something.
I would love some advice from some of you who have successfully done pants like this over and over.

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010 12:42:35 PM »

A French seam is really snug, but you need more of a seam allowance for that, so you would need to plan ahead.   Also, making gusseted pants help with the pants-ripping problem in the first place.
PinkLizzy Sews

she sews...constantly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010 03:14:36 PM »

Because pj pants get so much wear and tear I think the crotch needs some pretty heavy stitching.
For the PJ pants crotch I always use the stitch that is like three straight stitches in a row ||| . And then I zig zag the edges as well.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010 10:32:59 PM »

Thanks ladies.  Lucky for me, even though I got the material for four pair of pants, I only manage to get one stitched up at a time. (Go figure, with a toddler running around!)  So that at least affords me with the ability to learn from my mistakes on the nex pair.
I went ahead and put a felled seam on the latest pair.  It looks really great and is holding up well.  As one of you suggested earlier, I will go ahead and put in a little extra for seam allowance for the last pair.  (I wasn't able to do that with these as I already had them cut, but I was making them big anyway.  Why bother sewing for your kiddo if they can't grow into it a bit, right?)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicole Richie Makes a Turtleneck Dress Look Sexy
Top Sweater Styles For Fall
The TV Wardrobes We Want to Raid This Fall
Jameelah Booker Unveils Her New Jacket Line at NYFW Spring 2014
3 Nonsurgical Ways to Boost Your Booty
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...