A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Body Shapes and What Might Look good on Them  (Read 1549 times)
Tags for this thread: body_shape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2010 07:10:01 PM »

Off and on Lurker here. After recently being given a sewing machine for a B-Day I've been looking to sew some clothing I actually like..which led me to back here to this forum...and then, as a fat chicka.. to this area. Truly hope this is the right board!

I found a few guides...they are useful to me anyways.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-488236/Trinny-Susannah-reveal-12-womens-body-types--you.html -12 body shapes.

Using this guide I'm a cello... it's a hourglass type but a bit rounder...think classic 'ghetto booty'.

http://gok.channel4.com/ A step by step pick your part guide. This one tells me I'm a Butterfly, heh.

A quick 'what looks good' for these shapes.. http://beautybyella.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-dress-your-body.html

And.. the dress shape guide...http://www.promgirl.com/shop/body_types
Granted, they are formal dresses... but it should help give ideas, it has me!

I really hope this is OK... I kept noticing threads on what shape people are and what works on them so I'd thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010 07:35:40 PM by katsrevenge - Reason: adding one. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010 08:34:36 AM »

I haven't gone through the links in your post yet, but what I've noticed on "wear X for body shape Y" sites is that they don't usually take into account height or a combination shape - I'm short and have the shoulder/hip ratio of a pear, with the waist/hip ratio of an apple. What works for a tall pear doesn't always work for a short pear, and what works for a pear doesn't for an apple. And if it's the same person.... well, it gets complicated  Grin

When I was on vacation last month I did some people/clothes watching for people roughly my size and posted this on one of the other threads here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check out those links you posted Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010 05:30:45 PM »

I don't really fit into any of these darn shapes.   Huh   I'm somewhere between an hourglass and a cello, but I don't have "large" boobs.  My shoulders are quite broad, my boobs are average (not small, not big), and I have a small waist, round tummy, and a pudgy lower area.  Plus a very curved spine with one hip and shoulder higher.  So I've found I can't wear body-hugging clothes or they just highlight my freaky curvature.  A somewhat high waistline (not as high as an Empire) seems to work well for me.  I can't wear styles for "pear" because my shoulders are so broad.  So no cute little cap sleeves, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010 09:09:35 PM »

I'm a pear with broad shoulders, too! Funnily enough, the GOK website says I'm a "perfect pear... the envy of every girl and the dream of every man," HAHAHAHAHAH, oh man, that's rich Tongue

How I work around it is by dressing "hourglass" on top, so no flutter or cap sleeves, but mixing in some good stuff from "pear" wear, like v-necks and halter-tops/racer-backs. Racer tanks are my ultimate fave thing for summer! I like to buy those three packs from Walmart that are supposed to be underwear, but MEH, I say!

And Ludi, how did those wrap dresses work out or am I thinking of someone else? I remember a posting involving someone scoliotic and assymetric, and one of the big things was wrap dresses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010 09:19:10 PM »

Yeah.... the shapes are not a perfect fit for anyone really; it's more a 'in general' thing, just guidelines and not 100% law. Not that we have to follow them or that each one that is supposed to work for each type will work for all members of that type.

I'm short and my butt sticks out in the back. 'Fitted' bottoms just don't work for me. A-Lines can look odd as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010 06:46:06 AM »

Alexus - yes, that was me.  Smiley   I haven't tried wrap dresses yet, because I'm reconning and wrap dresses seem to take more fabric than I've had to work with.  But I'll look into it some more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
How to Play a Normal Beer Pong Play
How to Start the Beer Pong Game
Shooting Styles for Beer Pong
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...