A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Designing your own sampler.  (Read 1432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catyfaver

Dealing with being a tracer.

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010 06:55:45 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on designing your own sampler. I've been looking for a good book or pamphlet but can't seem to find one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, she wants to know, are women so susceptible to the fantasies of romance they encounter in novels? Maybe it is because the world outside of novels holds so little for a capable intelligent woman.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 08:56:52 PM »

OOOH! I have wanted to do that. Ya know, you should check with beefrank-she is awesome at it. She is on Mr. XStitch and around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Archangeldecker
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010 11:27:44 AM »

I am going to assume you mean a cross stitch sampler. My apologies if you meant another type of embroidery! Smiley

Here are some links that I have found:

http://www.articlesbase.com/art-and-entertainment-articles/how-to-create-your-very-own-crossstitch-sampler-101504.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/198203/how_to_design_your_own_cross_stitch.html

If I can remember the name of some of the books that deal with this topic, I will post links and/or information concerning them later on. Smiley

I have also designed my own design and I am working currently on three more. I use the old graph paper and pencil mode, as right now I cannot afford to purchase software to do this for me. I then send my designs to a friend and she puts it all together for me.

Here is a link to the free graph paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

Here is a picture of my design:

HTH! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

---

Respectfully submitted,

C.

"How often have I said that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes

http://archangeldecker.blogspot.com/
mysticflower
Madeleine Allcock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010 05:31:52 AM »

That is a beautiful design Archangeldecker. I design my own embroidery patterns but have not tried cross stitch before. Inspiration strikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rmpbklyn
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010 08:05:05 AM »

Buy a reference book, which is great to have for your library:
Invest in a 'collection' book, for example  I have '2001 cross stitch designs' by better homes and gardens. This book in particular has all the items scaled at the same count . Meaning if you photocopy or scan the items then place them on paper to move around to get a rough idea of what it would look like.

Create your own:
Non-pc:
chart:
Another idea is to use a picture from  magazine,  story book or coloring book , carbon paper and graph paper. Place the carbon under the picture and graph paper under that, then use a pointy pen or  sharp pencil and outline. Then color with markers or pencils on the graph paper. DMC has the pics of all their threads. If you want to protect the original pic, use a photocopy for tracing.

stitch an outline:
Use material that can be pulled away. Some use 'waste canvas'  while others use wax paper or fabric softer sheets. Draw on one of these with marker, then pin to fabric, stitch following the outline in one color. Then remove the material when done. Now fill in with the color threads as needed. This is great because there is no need to worry about ink/pen on fabric and bleeding during washing.

PC:
There are many programs that will convert pictures and images. Some free ones are: xstitch by Bergstrom and 'kg-chart LE lite' by Ikuta, try those  as a test before investing in commercial software.
However, take the time to 'prepare your image'. 1) decrease/simplify color, this will require less threads and easier to match with floss ids  2)clean up speckles/dots 3) remove what's really not needed, eg  for a picture of rose maybe exclude the leaves, and focus more on the petals themselves. 4) find an interesting 'spot' in the picture to do, therefore may not need the entire original photo/image.

use a ruler and graph paper to place 'squares' of which items to go where, this will help with spacing.

do consider a border, that's a nice touch when framing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frau Shizzle

be crafty and a little bit nasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010 01:24:37 AM »

For borders, if you are not using a PC, you can use a mirror for the edges. You put it upright on the straight border in a 45 angular degree and shift it a little, till you like the way it looks. Then you copy it with you other hand on the paper behind the mirror.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rmpbklyn
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 07:27:06 AM »

what's 'put it'  upright?  what's shown in a mirror a design from picture/ photo or project?

For borders, if you are not using a PC, you can use a mirror for the edges. You put it upright on the straight border in a 45 angular degree and shift it a little, till you like the way it looks. Then you copy it with you other hand on the paper behind the mirror.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frau Shizzle

be crafty and a little bit nasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010 08:23:36 AM »

Put the mirror upright on the boarder design - printed out or sketched on grid paper. If you have a straight boarder and you want to make a corner with it, you have to find the right place where to 'brake' the pattern. In the mirror you see how the edge looks at which point and when you like the design, you draw it on the paper behind the mirror.

Because I'm afraid I can't explain it properly in English, I took a picture of what I'm traing to say:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rmpbklyn
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010 08:25:28 PM »

@Frau , 0h I see, literally.
that's a great tip!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JellyBeansDesign
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010 06:32:00 PM »

A lot of times I will go online and check around for different patterns... then I will take portions of the different patterns and combine them to make a unique piece. I do cross stitch, but I imagine it would work for embroidery. As for me, I'm kind of intimidated by all the different stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teen Choice Red-Carpet Hits and Misses
Lana Del Rey: Steal Her Style
Boyfriend Style Hijack!
Kardashian Style Klash: Kim Vs Kendall 2013
The Style Sins of Paris Hilton
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...