A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,315
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: corn starch in place of egg ? - Solution found!  (Read 1883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2010 06:09:52 PM »

I've been searching the Internet but can't seem to find an answer to this question:

When you use corn starch in place of an egg, do you decrease the flour?

If so, by how much?

If not, can anyone reccomend the best way to substitute an egg in a cookie recipe for a vegan alternative? Because those vegan cookies I made were not cool compared to the original recipe.

Thanks for any help!

~Carrie

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010 07:26:32 AM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pearlshaynea
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010 12:11:26 PM »

i am allergic to eggs, so i have to substitute them in every recipie! i use either the Ener-G replacer (comes in a yellow box, it's a dry powder you mix with water, i bought it at Whole Foods, and it's a little expensive but lasts a long time) or Xanthan gum (VERY expensive, but again you only use a little so it lasts). i've heard you can use a 1/2 a banana or a little bit of applesauce to replace an egg, too. i don't know how much corn starch or if you decrease the flour. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an avid crafter, artist, Zumbist, reader, TV-aholic, pet-lover, photographer, digital scrapbooker, and much more!
Visit my blog! http://pearlshaynea.blogspot.com
I teach ZUMBA Gold! check out our blog for the class schedule: http://muevelodancefitness.blogspot.com
The Moose

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010 02:17:49 PM »

I don't think it's necessary to decrease the amount of flour in the recipe if you use cornstarch, but I would add a bit more liquid. I've never used cornstarch as an egg substitute in baking, however. Half a banana or applesauce work well, as does psyllium seed husks (a plant used as a dietary fiber supplement; mix 1 Tbs with 2 Tbs water, and let sit and thicken, then add to your dough). There's also something fancy you can do with ground flax seeds that I don't quite remember (helpful, I know!)
If there is only one egg called for in the recipe, you might just omit it, and adjust the amount of liquid accordingly.

The Garden of Vegan and How it all Vegan are great resources. I'd recommend getting a proper vegan cookie recipe, such as those in the Veganomincon or Vegan Cookies Take Over your Cookie Jar (check your library or online if you don't have them on hand).

The real trick to vegan cookies, though, is the fact that they don't really spread out like non-vegan cookies. When you plop the dough on the cookie sheet, make sure to press them into a cookie-like shape before baking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

★ Vegan Quaker Queer ★

My Etsy | Art Blog
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010 03:59:02 PM »

Thanks, guys! These tips will come in super handy!

So, the banana or applesauce doesn't give the sugar cookies a banana-y or applesauce-y flavor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Moose

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010 08:38:26 PM »

Applesauce ends up being pretty neutral in taste when baking. Banana will definitely impart a banana taste (which can have surprisingly delicious results, like the time I made sweet potato corn bread, plus bananas).

I just double checked, it's 3 Tbs applesauce per egg Smiley You can also use a 1/4 c of well mashed soft tofu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

★ Vegan Quaker Queer ★

My Etsy | Art Blog
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010 07:21:31 AM »

Thanks so much! I have a whole list of egg-substitutes but thought corn starch would be the least flavor-intrusive. I'll give the applesauce a try.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010 07:38:38 AM »

So, the applesauce did impart an apple-saucy flavor- just a hint- but my mom threw down the gauntlet by saying that I couldn't find a decent substitute. (It's a family trait: say someone can't do something and they won't rest until they do. Lay's potato chips- You can't just eat 1? I said my cousin couldn't eat just 1 and he did. It's stronger than our love of food and that's saying something!)

Well, I didn't find a decent one... I found an awesome substitute: 3 tablespoons veggie oil and 1 tablespoon water!

The cookies are now delicious! And vegan! They're better than the original! And I can eat the cookie dough without worrying about raw egg! Totally great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of the Batmobile
Painting Cowboys on Canvas
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wing Details
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wings
Face Paint Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...