A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: furry "raver" boot covers  (Read 1804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrr betsy
« on: July 01, 2010 09:51:57 AM »

Recently getting acquainted with the rave/dj/festival scene. A friend of mine had some white furry boot covers that are adorable and I said to myself "that's GOTTA be easy!" Well. It wasn't too tough, but the cost of the fur is CRAZY. like $20/yard, and I thought I would be able to make several pairs with a yard... maybe it was just the fur I bought, but the way the fur lies I'm not sure if I'm even going to be able to make 2 pairs out of 1 yard.

i combined info from a few different sources online, i spent a whole day trying to find a tutorial and then i still had to do trial and error to get them the way i wanted them to look.

here they are. not the greatest pic ever. next time i make a pair I am going to make them bell out bigger so they cover my whole shoe. they have an elastic/drawstring in the top cuff to keep them on tight. next time i want to get colorful fur and do ribbons for the drawstring so i can make pretty bows

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
HippiePunk

Oooh...shiny pretty objects!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 10:05:10 AM »

Those are pretty bitchin'...(I must make some now)....What sort of fabric did you use for the upper part/ drawstring area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We live in a rainbow of chaos
grrr betsy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010 10:07:51 AM »

I just cut up a t-shirt, I'm fond of doing that! It has a decent amount of stretch. But I think any material with a little bit of stretch would work just fine. I imagine if you knitted up a little "sock" top kind of thing that would work great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010 05:00:51 PM »

Nice! I like how you did the tops. I totally agree, the price of fur is ridiculous! If it wasn't so expensive I'd have these in a ton of colors  Tongue
Something you can do next time so they cover your shoes: Cut the front half with more flare than the back piece, that way you have extra in the front but not so much extra in the back that it can be stepped on (It seems like it shouldn't get stepped on anyways because it's wider not longer, but I've noticed I step on them more if I put mine on backwards.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010 07:30:59 PM »

Nice! I like how you did the tops. I totally agree, the price of fur is ridiculous! If it wasn't so expensive I'd have these in a ton of colors  Tongue
Something you can do next time so they cover your shoes: Cut the front half with more flare than the back piece, that way you have extra in the front but not so much extra in the back that it can be stepped on (It seems like it shouldn't get stepped on anyways because it's wider not longer, but I've noticed I step on them more if I put mine on backwards.)

I actually made these as one piece for each. But, I would LOVE to see a diagram of how you cut your pieces because I would like to give it another try to see if there are other approaches that will allow me to get the fur to go go a bit farther...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010 08:17:21 PM »

I can measure/trace them for you tomorrow, and snap a pic so you can see how they end up  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010 08:23:03 PM »

I can measure/trace them for you tomorrow, and snap a pic so you can see how they end up  Smiley

Thank you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
N30Nb100d
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 07:40:10 PM »

Okay so!

these are the measurements of the ones I have. Now, I had a limited amount of fur, so if I could have I probably would have made the fronts even wider (okay, my mom would have made them wider... we did this together, she did the actual sewing, since this was before I knew how  Cheesy )

The fur was the thin more drape-y kind so with a thicker fur they would stick out more around your foot. There's elastic sewn directly to the fur to keep them up so it's gathered a little bit on top (this particular fur is also a bit stretchy).

I didn't have time to take some new photos but I found these; sorry they're not that great!

With sneakers

and with some very very chunky boots

THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010 11:41:07 AM »

Ah! Thank you these are fantastic!! I saw this kind of fur at the fabric store as well, it's a bit less expensive, I thought it would be fun to use it to make some multicolor/striped ones!
Anyhow, I have a bit of fur left and I am going to try to make another pair using this pattern. I will post the results whenever I get around to that!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...