A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,525
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making recycled placemats  (Read 1208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

piecefulartist
« on: March 08, 2004 06:43:51 PM »

for some reason, my husband wants us to start using placemats at the kitchen table. i can sew anything, so i don't want to make something out of fabric. any cool ideas? i thought of making collages or taking old maps and laminating them. what else can i do? i prefer to recycle something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004 11:23:58 PM »

a cool idea i once saw for placemats was strips of old magazines made out of a whole page and folded into one inch strips, then you weive them into a rectangle and fold the edges to the back of the placemat, you glue any type of backing, could be felt, cork, or even cardboard, laminate the whole thing. it really lookes great and colorful.

it can be done with newspapers as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004 11:43:43 PM »

What about flattening a cereal box & laminating that.  Or flatten it & use a glue stick to glue take out menus on one side, then lamiante, double sided placmats, cereal box on one side, menues on the other.   =)

Or Using the flattend box as a base you can decoupage pages from the phone book (resturants, grocery stores, etc), maps, seasonal cards or pics.
Weave some like the pot holders we all made as kids.
Or Make briaded ones out of anything you can recycle (jeans, t shirts, plastic grocery bags)
Pics of family & freinds
Woven ribbon, even that could be laminated... laminated placemats would be great, & so many ideas, you can make them double sided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squaretangle
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004 09:28:31 AM »

TinySoapyBubbles, you are so full of ideas!  

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams
tinydancer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004 01:56:58 PM »

One year, we took masonry (jamming/jelly) jar lids and traced circles on things like old christmas cards (say if you wanted a theme - birthday, christmas, etc) glued  them together with something and laminated it and cut them out. You could make an amoeba/cloud shape, or a scalloped edged square. Punch holes in the edges and lace ribbon through.

You could personalize birthday placemats with old cards. Every birthday the birthday "kiddo" could sit and remember who gave what card to them while they're eating all ther special birthday meals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004 06:35:34 PM »

yesterday i did a search for "plastic bags" because we have millions of them.
it occurs to me that some of the straw placemats we had when i was a kid were a bit like the plastic bag crochet fabric of this bag

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=76;action=display;threadid=2871;start=0

you could quite easily make a double crochet (US: single crochet) circle of whatever size you like, to make coasters, placemats, i guess doormats too.
it's recycling, and if they got too mucky you could just do new ones - if you are anything like me you have an unlimited supply of shopping bags.

if you can't crochet, i assure you it is very simple to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Floor Plan
Eric Daman Style Tips
How to Draw a Portrait
The Japanese Art Form of Lacquer
The Tattooing Process
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...