A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etched Glass Motherload! (Picture so-much-it-may-burst)  (Read 3113 times)
Tags for this thread: etched_glass , true_blood , glass_etching  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NightTerrorzChick
« on: June 30, 2010 10:37:56 AM »

I've been doing etched glass for a little while, and never realized how appreciated my ability to cut out little shapes and transfer them onto glass was until I participated in my first swap!

So I decided to post all of the glass work I happen to have pictures of. This means a lot of pictures incoming!

All of these works were done using Armor Etch cream. A little of that stuff goes a long way. I still have most of the bottle I did all of these with!

I started using a customizable stencil that was sold near the armor etch and perhaps even from the same brand. But I ran out of room, and then realized that any self adhesive vinyl will do.

This first group was made for my t-shirt/craft company, Night Terrorz. The Fangs are the 'logo' for the company, and the company name is specifically stylized, so I had to copy that exactly into the stencils.

Here are some small coaster sized mirrors that I made first to test the stencils:

Then I moved on to making some shot glasses with the same stencils:

I had also ordered some really cute potion bottles, so I did similar things on them. One some I put the company name on the neck of the bottle (which turned out best) and some near the bottom of the bottle.

This one I tried to line with red paint pen..

While I was moving to my new apartment, we found these wine-glass type tealight candle holders. So I decided to etch them as well.

And here are the piece I made for the True Blood swap (taken by my partner). The first one is a Fangtasia Logo wine glass:

And the second is a beer glass that has Eric's face and his title from the calendar:

Thanks for taking a look! C&C always welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hipmama1970
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010 10:58:18 AM »

Wow!

I've only ever tried to etch glass once, and it was a miserable failure. I still don't know what I did wrong, but I've been afraid to try again. I may have to now, though! Your work is inspiring Smiley (<---I wish there was a smiley with fangs, it would really fit here!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010 11:25:20 AM »

Thanks! Did you use etching creme when you tried previously?

You have to make sure that your stencil, be it the kind that the sell at craft stores or or just something cut out of sticky vinyl, is fully stuck to the glass. Any small gaps or bubbles will let the etching creme seep through and ruin the sharp outlines of the design.

I also find taping the edge of the stencil with painters tape is nice to avoid accidentally getting some excess etching creme where it doesn't belong!

Another issue that might cause problems is not using enough etching creme. I really like to gob it on. My strategy is that more really can't hurt!

Hope this helps. ; )=
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010 11:25:54 AM by NightTerrorzChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010 11:43:38 AM »

That is fantastic!

You should do an etched picture of Bela Lugosi!  If you have already done so, please post it!

I did some etching using the beatles and Jimi Hendrix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janiegrrl
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010 11:48:46 AM »

those are too cool.. I love them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010 11:50:46 AM »

That is fantastic!

You should do an etched picture of Bela Lugosi!  If you have already done so, please post it!

I did some etching using the beatles and Jimi Hendrix.

That's actually a really good idea! If I have some time on my hands soon and nothing to do with it, I may attempt that. Not sure what to put it on though. The only stuff I still have lying around are vases, shot glasses, and those potion bottles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hipmama1970
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010 12:15:11 AM »

Thank you, NTC, I'll have to give it another try.

I'm not sure what I used before. Someone was showing me how to do it, and we were using her stuff. I'll have to get the proper materials before giving it another go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010 04:48:06 AM »

What better than a mirror for an image of a vampire?  Try a smaller one though, you don't want to wake up screaming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightTerrorzChick
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010 10:50:31 AM »

Thank you, NTC, I'll have to give it another try.

I'm not sure what I used before. Someone was showing me how to do it, and we were using her stuff. I'll have to get the proper materials before giving it another go.

Go for it! It really is very rewarding. If you ever need any help, feel free to pm me and I'd be more than happy to give you tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motherconfessor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010 08:57:51 AM »

Where did you get the potion bottles, they're awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disney Swap!

pinterest.com/confessor/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Sheff Reveals His Favorite Words
Glenn Beck Talks About The Christmas Sweater
Stacy Morrison Talks About Falling Apart in One Piece
Adena Halpern Talks About 29
Meet Author Kathy Reichs
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...