A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beaded box  (Read 2948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beach
« on: May 12, 2005 11:44:47 PM »

I've been working on this project off and on for ages - as a present for my mom... finallly finished it in time for Mother's Day, now I get to share it with you guys.  It's all beads and thread, woven together in peyote stitch using instructions from a book by Dark Hare Beadwork.

Thanks for all the kind compliments guys - here are some answers to questions that popped up...

The book is called "Little Boxes" - it's available here: http://www.beadcave.com/julia/littleboxes/index.html  You can buy a pdf version for $25US and it includes patterns and instructions for different box types (triangular, 4 sided, 5 sided, etc).

Also - it's possible to make much smaller boxes that require much less time - so anyone who is thinking of trying the project, go for it - it doesn't have to be the mega project I made mine into!

My mom was wow'ed, I think.  She's seen my other beadwork projects (which tend to be large and very time involved) so she knows it's typical for me.  Mostly I think she marveled at how small and uniform the beads were (I used delicas).

Theres no frame under the beads - it's just beads and thread.  The tension holds it all together.  Each half was made as one piece.  The bead on top - it stands up just through tension and several passes with the thread. 

(Thanks for setting me straight on the stitch name, didn't realize there was badness associated with what I called it.)

As a beginner project - if you've done gourd stitch before, then you can figure this out (with the instructions) for sure.  I'd suggest getting pretty familiar with gourd stitch first though.  Wink   

I think the only thing that keeps me going on large projects like this is NOT knowing how many hours I've put in!!   I started this easily a year ago, got interrupted by grad school and finally finished in May... easily hundreds of hours (usually in front of the tv).

In a way it does require patience, but I really enjoy it and it gives me something to do with my hands while I watch movies or tv.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 02:27:47 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to pull additional project info into first post! :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now selling awesomeness with my partners in craftiness!
Our website: http://maked.ca
Our blog: http://baremaked.blogspot.com/
Our shop: http://maked.etsy.com
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005 12:22:02 AM »

That is beautiful. I can't imagine the kind of patience that must go into something like that. Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiemarie
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005 12:22:54 AM »

amazing!
you have way too much patience/skill!
Can I borrow some!
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littledoe
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005 09:10:00 AM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daydreamer13579
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005 10:38:29 AM »

That's great. I can't imagine having the patience to do something like that. I want everything done yesterday.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the sane squirrel
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005 01:40:34 PM »

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What book? Is there a pattern available, I've never done one!!!!!!!!! Anything for a begginer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Welder of Fire

You want me to wear...WHAT?!?!?!?!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 02:26:17 PM »

What is the book titled? I love the peyote stitch, and would love to try the box. -crosses fingers and hopes I can make time somehow-  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can't spell, so deal. =^_^=
stickysweetfun

only slightly faster than a one-legged armadillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 02:34:55 PM »

OH MY STARS that is utterly beautiful.  Your mom must've been WOWED.
My masochistic side is curious how many hours that took you to complete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005 02:48:01 PM »

Fantastico!

I add my voice to the requests for the book title....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005 05:33:45 PM »

it's really beautiful!  i love the star on top.  is it all made in one piece?  how did you get the bead on top to stand straight up?  i love beaded vessels and containers, yours is fantastic. what did your mother say?  *bursting with questions* Smiley

also, probably you have heard before, but this stitch is more respectfully reffered to as gourd stitch...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Best Eyeshadows for Evening
How to Curl Eyelashes with Heat
The Only Skincare Product You Need To Face The Day
Katie McBroom: Finding Beauty and the Beach
How to Use Primer
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...