A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: orange and yellow tail poi (tutorial included)  (Read 3550 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

N30Nb100d
« on: June 29, 2010 10:37:22 PM »

I've been spinning poi for a few years now, usually using LED lights or glowsticks, but I decided I needed a pair I could use during the day and that would be safer for learning new tricks.
These are based on a pair one of my friends had purchased. I saw them once and sort of winged it to make my own after that Tongue They're tennis balls with nylon covers and removable tails for when they get in the way (attached with velcro). I wish they glowed under blacklight but even though the colors are really bright, they don't... I also didn't really have orange or yellow thread at the time so I went with navy blue for contrast  Cheesy

I do have in-progress pics, so if anyone is interested, let me know and I can put together a tutorial. They're pretty simple to make.

Thanks for looking! comments, questions, crit. are all welcome!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 08:44:04 PM by N30Nb100d » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EvergreenEffect
The tide of Evergreen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010 12:27:26 AM »

I haven't seen these since I was a kid - these are awesome sauce.

I think the only way to make these any cooler would be to put a strobe ball in it for playing with at night.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010 12:59:29 AM by EvergreenEffect » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go than. There are other worlds than these.
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010 12:38:01 AM »

Spinning poi. So that's what it's called. These look like fun. I love the bright colors. Since they don't glow under a black light, maybe you can sew on some glow in the fabric or use some glow in the dark paint for night time amusement. I'll have to look up this activity. I've tried diabolo but the one I have isn't very balanced at all. This looks promising. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
susie in the sky
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010 04:06:55 AM »

Those are really nice - they look very similar to ones I bought - very professional! Well done Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
Smeddley

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010 11:02:09 AM »

I've wanted to try this for awhile now, those look awesome!  Good job winging it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010 04:57:42 PM »

Thanks everyone!
I made these primarily to use during the day because I only had night-use ones before, so I'm not too worried about getting them to glow (it would have just been an extra perk), but I'd love to have a second set of tails made of glow in the dark fabric or painted. The balls are really easy to switch out too - I agree strobe balls would be awesome! If I had some I'd definitely try it.

Smeddley, not sure if you mean making your own or spinning, but either way you should try it! They're not hard to make, and playing with them is really fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010 08:17:11 AM »

Those are like the streamers I used to play with when I was little except they did not have balls in them. Just long ribbons on a stick to swing around. I've never heard the term Poi though. Great job anyway, they look like fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissRachel
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010 06:22:29 PM »

I have been wanting to play with poi for so long.. tutorial, yes please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010 06:45:24 PM »

I have been wanting to play with poi for so long.. tutorial, yes please!

no problem, I will put one together before next week.

Those are like the streamers I used to play with when I was little except they did not have balls in them. Just long ribbons on a stick to swing around. I've never heard the term Poi though. Great job anyway, they look like fun.

I used to love playing with those ribbons when I was little too! Using these is much different because of the weight, but I think they're even more fun.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010 08:43:24 PM »

Tutorial time!

Materials:
Rip-stop nylon: yard of the main color (ex. orange) and yard of a second color (ex. yellow)
2 grommets
Sew-on velcro
Cord (ex. round shoe laces)
Scrap of sturdy fabric (ex. denim)
2 tennis balls

Seam allowances are included in all the measurements but they are not standard; I will note how large each allowance is at each step. I tried to be very detailed; let me know if theres anything thats hard to understand.
Like I said before, I sort of winged this, so all the measurements are just ones that worked for me. I actually have no idea about the measurements of store-bought tail poi

Poi heads:

1. Cut 4 pieces in the main color that are 5 by 5 and round off the corners (I trimmed them to vaguely follow the curve of a tennis ball)

2. Double fold and sew a 3/8 hem on the straight edge of each piece.
3. Insert a grommet into the center of two of the pieces. Use a small square of the sturdy fabric on the inside to reinforce it. (Other than adding the fabric, I followed the instructions on the pack of grommets)

4. Sew a strip of velcro along the top edge of each piece with a grommet in it, then the opposite half of the velcro to each plain piece. You want the velcro to be sewn to the wrong side of the fabric so it ends up inside later.
5. Sew one piece with a grommet and one plain piece together around the curve with a seam allowance. Repeat for the other two pieces. Zig-zag the edge because this stuff frays like crazy. Flip right side out.

6. The simplest handle for these is just a length of cord knotted on the inside of the grommet so that it does not pull through, then knotted in a loop for your fingers on the other end. Each cord should be about the length from the tip of your middle finger to your armpit. Add tennis balls inside the pouches and there you go! These are great like this for learning new tricks since theres no tails to tangle.

Poi tails:
1. Cut 2 pieces in the second color about 3 tapering to 2, by 45. Also cut 2 pieces in the main color about 3 tapering to 2, but 38 long, all shaped like in the drawing. I started the taper on the pieces 18 away from the end that is narrower once youre done. It should be only on one edge of each piece.

2. Sew one short piece to one long, along the straight edge, stopping about 8 away from the end of the shorter piece. This way, once the pieces are sewn together, the taper will go in from both outside edges. Use a 5/8 seam allowance. Repeat for the other two pieces of course. In the photo, the top pair is sewn together, bottom is not. If you look closely you can see where the stitching stops.

3. (Im not sure how to explain this part so I hope the picture is clear) Open the seam allowance so its flat, fold each side under (as if hemming) and sew it down. Dont stop where the seam from the last step stops; hem all the way to the tip of each color. Again, repeat for the other tail.

4. Hem (double fold 3/8) all outside edges, the tips, and the wide ends. There should be no raw edges at all after this.
5. Sew a strip of the hook side of velcro to one side of each wide end and a strip of the loop side on the reverse side. The two sides of the velcro should be on top of each other with the nylon between them. If you sew the hook side on first, it will end up with two lines of stitching like so:

Just velcro the tails into the pouches and youre ready to spin!

I hope this is useful to someone. If you use it, Id love to see a picture of what you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fritos Chili Pie Casserole Recipe
Pan-Seared Garlic Filet Mignon Recipe
Memorial Day Onion Burgers Recipe
Philly Beef Torpedo Sandwich Recipe
Super Submarine Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...