A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fumes while stained-glass'ing?  (Read 1146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amandarenee
« on: June 29, 2010 09:26:27 AM »

I took a stained glass class with my mom about a year ago, but every since my husband got back from Korea (Army) and we moved, I haven't had much of a chance to make anything.  On top of that, I'm having a baby in August  Grin

I've had a SERIOUS crafty itch to make a few little sun catchers and what-have-you because I have SO much extra time on my hands right now, and I know I am not going to have this same oppourtinity after the Baby gets here.

My only issue is that I'm not sure if I "should".  Is there any danger in doing stained glass while pregnant?  I figured I'd wear gloves for good measure, and maybe a mask.  Do you think I should just avoid the whole thing and wait, or go for it while I have the time and inclination?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a knittin', sewin', crochetin' mama-to-be!

Baby #1 Due Aug 14th!  Cheesy
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010 03:01:04 PM »

One of the most dangerous things about working with stained glass is not the sharp glass itself...it's the fumes from soldering.  Lots and lots of information out there about the dangers.  Do you have a decent/dedicated space with more than adequate ventilation?

The other thing about stained glass is will you be copper foiling or using lead came?  Lead in came can't really get absorbed through your skin.  (According to Dennis Brady/Glass Campus) Lead poisoning comes through ingesting it.  I doubt you'll have a hankering to chew on a piece of lead....but pregnancy can induce some pretty crazy cravings.  Wink

Lastly, as you know there can also be some "dust" from grinding glass. But truthfully, if you're getting dust when you're grinding, you're doing it wrong and will wear out your bit.  But glass dust contains contaminants too.

I guess what I'm saying....if it were me...I'd pass on messing with glass right now.  That little bun in your oven is pretty precious... There are just so many things with working with glass that can be iffy if not handled properly.  Not worth the risk in my book.

Instead, spend some time designing some really great pieces for the little one to have when he/she grows up.  Family heirlooms to pass on to their kids!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010 10:07:41 AM »

There is lead free solder. This guy seems to have some insight on using it for the copper foil method:
http://www.elvesofester.com/leadfree.html
Lead free solder will still produce fumes, they just won't have lead in 'em - you still might want to avoid soldering while pregnant. It seems like you could design your suncatcher, cut the glass, foil, and do just about everything up until soldering until after the baby is born.
Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Level Commands
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the 16 Bit Per Channel Space
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Save All Changes
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Color Pallet
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View the Info Pallet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...