A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starfish Crochet Pattern  (Read 5905 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mausica
« on: June 28, 2010 09:29:33 PM »

I have been working on an under the sea themed baby mobile for the past month and it's slowly coming to completion. I finished up the clam and am now working on the crab and seahorse pattern, but I have just finished up the starfish pattern. You can get a downloadable PDF at http://magicalmaus.blogspot.com/2010/05/starfish-pattern.html if you want.

Here is a picture of the completed starfish.

I used a 3.75 mm crochet hook and Red Heart yarn in Bright Yellow, Black and Pumpkin.

Front of the Large Starfish

Round      
Start   5 sc in an adjustable ring   (5 sts)
1   2 sc (inc) in each st around   (10 sts)
2   *sc in the first st,  bo in the same st* repeat from * to * around   (20 sts)
3   *sc in the next 3 sts, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (25 sts)
4    *sc in the next 2 sts, bo in the next 2 sts, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (30 sts)

Work each tentacle as follows:

turn, ch 1, sc in the first 6 sts, *turn, ch 1, sc in the first 2 sts, bo in the next 2 sts, sc in the last 2 sts, turn, ch 1, sc in the next 6 sts* repeat from * to * one more time.

Turn, ch 1, sc the first 2 sts tog (dec), bo in the next 2 sts, sc the last 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1, sc in all 4 sts, turn, ch 1, bo in the first st, sc the last 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1, sc the in the next st, sc the last 2 sts tog (dec), ss down side of tentacle and repeat above instructions four more times.

Next, make 18 sc around each tentacle. Fasten off and leave a long yarn tail to attach the front to the back.

Back of the Large Starfish

Round
2   2 sc (inc) in each st around   (20 sts)
3   *sc in the next 3 sts, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (25 sts)
4   *sc in the next 4 sts, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (30 sts)

*turn, ch 1, sc in the first 6 sts* repeat from * to * three more times, turn, ch 1, sc the first 2 sts tog (dec), sc in the next 2 sts, sc the last 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1, sc in all 4 sts, turn, ch 1, **sc in the first 2 sts tog (dec)** repeat from ** to ** one more time, turn, ch 1, sc in the next 2 sts, ss down side of tentacle and repeat above instructions four more times.

Next, make 18 sc around each tentacle. Fasten off and leave a long yarn tail to attach the front to the back.

Attach the front of the body to the back by making another 18 sc around each tentacle. Do not forget to stuff the starfish with Poly-Fil before completely closing the starfish!

Front of the Small Starfish

Round   
2   *sc in the first st, bo in the next st, sc (inc) in the same st* repeat from * to * around   (15 sts)

*sc in the first 3 sts, turn, ch 1, sc in the next st, bo in the next st, sc in the last st, turn, ch 1* repeat from * to * one more time.

sc in the next 3 sts, turn, ch 1, bo in the next st, sc next 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1, sc next 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1, bo in next st, ss down side of tentacle and repeat above instructions four more times.

Next, make 16 sc around each tentacle. Fasten off and leave a long yarn tail to attach the front to the back.

Back of the Small Starfish

Round
2   *sc in the first st, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (15 sts)
3   *sc in the next 2 sts, 2 sc (inc) in the next st* repeat from * to * around   (20 sts)

*sc in the first 4 sts, turn, ch 1* repeat from * to * four more times.

**sc next 2 sts tog (dec), turn, ch 1 ** repeat from ** to ** one more time.

***sc in the next 2 sts, turn, ch 1*** repeat from *** to *** one more time.

sc next 2 sts tog (dec), ss down side of tentacle and repeat above instructions four more times.

Next, make 16 sc around each tentacle. Fasten off and leave a long yarn tail to attach the front to the back.

Attach the front of the body to the back by making another 18 sc (pick-up and extra 2 sc at the tip of the tentacle) around each tentacle. Do not forget to stuff the starfish with Poly-Fil before completely closing the starfish!

For the face I just used black yarn and made two french knots for eyes and whip stitched the mouth.

Here's also a sneak peak at the baby mobile...as soon as I get it done I will post instructions on how to make it.  Grin

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 07:23:11 PM by Mausica - Reason: fixed pattern link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: magicalmaus.blogspot.com

Etsy Store: mausica.etsy.com
RueRue
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010 10:10:11 PM »

aw this is adorable! thanks for the pattern! Im expecting a baby in October and I love this idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap handcarved stamps for some play food for my daughter!
Mausica
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010 07:48:05 AM »

Thank you and Congratulations!  Cheesy I've been working on this for a friend that's due in August. I hope I get this finished just in time to ship it to her before the baby arrives! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlmostDawn
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010 03:29:38 PM »

Bookmarked this!

Thank you for the pattern!

I just started out crocheting and I'm looking for super cute things to make as gifts to keep me practicing.

I can't wait to see the finished mobile  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewallegorical.com

Stalking me?: http://pinterest.com/allegorical/

50 in 2011: 14/50
Sketchbook Project 2012: Untitled
Mausica
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010 05:48:03 PM »

No problem! I'm glad you like it.  Cheesy If you're planning on doing the baby mobile, I've already got the clam pattern up as well and you can download it for free at http://magicalmaus.blogspot.com/2010/06/clam-pattern.html. I should have the crab done by this weekend and the seahorse and octopus shortly afterwards.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SusanSummerland
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010 10:45:14 AM »

Squee! Super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010 08:46:18 AM »

I love it! What kind of crab are you making? My 3yo has been asking for a fiddler crab (thanks to the Wonder Pets), and I don't even know where to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyonce Debuts Her New Bob on Stage
Nasty Gal Designs Shoe Cult Collection
Marchesa Debuts Affordable Daywear Line
Temperley London - Designer Bio - Videofashion
Fall Maternity Fashion from Hatch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...