A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What would you charge for Cross Stitch?  (Read 1971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber555
« on: June 28, 2010 01:04:07 PM »

Hey All,

Not sure if anyone can help me out with this or not. I've been approached by someone to make them a commissioned cross stitch which would be similar to the one pictured below. Two characters and a phrase, framed to measure about 4 X 6 inch or 5 X 7 in a frame.

Since I mostly cross stitch for friends and family, I'm a little uncertain what to charge for such a piece. The characters and lettering are already designed (from previous pieces) so all I would need to do is draw a quick sketch of where to stitch them on the fabric and then start stitching.

Time wise, this would take me about 5-6 hours total from sketching through stitching to framing. In terms of cost of supplies, I'm looking at approximately $10-$15. I'll probably be giving the piece to the person myself, so no need to consider shipping costs.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to what would be fair/reasonable to charge for a piece like this? Does anyone have/know of a going rate for cross stitching by the hour?

I had four pieces similar to this one in a silent auction over the weekend for the charity Equality Now. The final bids ranged from $45 to $110, but I'm thinking a contributing factor on the highest one was that the person was making a donation to the charity, not just getting the completed cross stitch.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 01:05:05 PM by amber555 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 04:26:44 AM »

Being fair is getting at least $10 per hour for your trouble, which brings the price to $75; being comfortable about being fair is another thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 06:56:28 AM »

Well, you can charge per hour, or you can triple the cost of supplies. Those are the two price schemes that I've seen. Since you said it's for friends and family, I think $45 is more than reasonable. (matches the lower end of the bidding and tripling the cost of supplies) I wouldn't be against charging more, and being kind but firm about it. If this is a business and not a hobby, then what is your time worth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set up a File Structure for your Images
How to Use Lighting in a Studio
How to Create an Equipment Check List
How to Photograph a Landscape Architecture Image
How to Use Contouring Lines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...