A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What would you charge for Cross Stitch?  (Read 1954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber555
« on: June 28, 2010 01:04:07 PM »

Hey All,

Not sure if anyone can help me out with this or not. I've been approached by someone to make them a commissioned cross stitch which would be similar to the one pictured below. Two characters and a phrase, framed to measure about 4 X 6 inch or 5 X 7 in a frame.

Since I mostly cross stitch for friends and family, I'm a little uncertain what to charge for such a piece. The characters and lettering are already designed (from previous pieces) so all I would need to do is draw a quick sketch of where to stitch them on the fabric and then start stitching.

Time wise, this would take me about 5-6 hours total from sketching through stitching to framing. In terms of cost of supplies, I'm looking at approximately $10-$15. I'll probably be giving the piece to the person myself, so no need to consider shipping costs.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to what would be fair/reasonable to charge for a piece like this? Does anyone have/know of a going rate for cross stitching by the hour?

I had four pieces similar to this one in a silent auction over the weekend for the charity Equality Now. The final bids ranged from $45 to $110, but I'm thinking a contributing factor on the highest one was that the person was making a donation to the charity, not just getting the completed cross stitch.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 01:05:05 PM by amber555 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 04:26:44 AM »

Being fair is getting at least $10 per hour for your trouble, which brings the price to $75; being comfortable about being fair is another thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 06:56:28 AM »

Well, you can charge per hour, or you can triple the cost of supplies. Those are the two price schemes that I've seen. Since you said it's for friends and family, I think $45 is more than reasonable. (matches the lower end of the bidding and tripling the cost of supplies) I wouldn't be against charging more, and being kind but firm about it. If this is a business and not a hobby, then what is your time worth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Catan: Traders and Barbarians
Catan Cities and Knights Board Game Review
Vox Time Machine Delay Pedal Gear Review
How to Play Catan Seafarers Board Game
Settlers of Catan
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...