A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Amazing Wind-Up Girl  (Read 1928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redidin
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010 09:21:26 AM »

First posted this in recons, then realized I should've stuck it here instead. Apologies for the double...

This was a costume from a mid-year "Halloween" party. I cut up a fabulous old Gunne Sax wedding dress, then rebuilt it--and a pair of matching bloomers using a ton of scrap fabric and antique handkerchiefs and buttons. The joints and wind-up keyhole (not pictured) are sharpie, courtesy of The Spouse.

In action, with make-up. Unfortunately, I don't have a full-body shot; the dress is just below knee-length, and the bloomers fall to mid-calf; under them, I was wearing harlequin tights and black mary janes. Everything looks much pinker in this photo; something about the lighting.

Bodice detail. The quilting took forever, but it was totally worth it. The buttons don't actually perform any structural function, but they do all attach properly, with hand-made loops.

Bloomer Cuff #1. I left both of these very ragged, on purpose. Unlike the bodice, the bloomers actually have functional buttons.

Bloomer Cuff #2.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 09:21:51 AM by redidin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010 09:41:06 AM »

This is STUNNING! I'm so in love - wish you  had a full body shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
redidin
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010 10:03:06 AM »

Thank you! I'll try to get a shot of the full costume sometime in the next few weeks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010 02:14:21 PM »

SOOOO awesome! Those little strips of the red & white stripes are wonderful. I'd love to see the full-length view, it sounds fabulous all together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
RamenQueen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010 02:29:40 PM »

That Costume is amazing! I am so uber jealous/inspired.  I may end up doing this for Halloween ( similar  but unique). I like the fact that it's lace , fussy and sexy without being over the top ( like the Hooker Disney princesses I see ugh!)

and I really want a pair of bloomers...  Tongue Roll Eyes

Do you think a male toy soldier outfit could be made as well ( with the buttons and such) ...so my Boy and I could match . I love the way your "joints" look!

Edited to fix brain fart aka typos
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 02:32:01 PM by RamenQueen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redidin
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010 04:16:07 PM »

That Costume is amazing! I am so uber jealous/inspired.  I may end up doing this for Halloween ( similar  but unique). I like the fact that it's lace , fussy and sexy without being over the top ( like the Hooker Disney princesses I see ugh!)

and I really want a pair of bloomers...  Tongue Roll Eyes

Thank you!  Smiley

Bloomers are SUPER easy, especially if you plan to wear them under things--just sew or buy a very basic pair of light pants or pajama bottoms, cut them off at the appropriate length, and add cuffs, ruffles, detailing, etc. as desired. This pair started out as a pair of pajama bottoms.

Do you think a male toy soldier outfit could be made as well ( with the buttons and such) ...so my Boy and I could match .

I don't see why not, although I think that, for a uniform, a less fiddly style might work better--larger swathes of fabric rather than the super-minutely-detailed stuff I did on this. Gibbous's high-collared men's coats are a good example of the general aesthetic I'm talking about.

Either way, I think that, with doll costumes, the styling--make-up, accessories, etc.--is as important as if not more important than the costume; doubly so for a costume as specific and iconic as a toy soldier. You can get away with a lot of kludging, costume-wise, if you pay enough attention to the styling.

Another option I've played with would be to have the other person go as a toy-maker, with a tool belt, the doll's wind-up key, etc. Definitely a different--and creepier--vibe than a second doll, but I think it'd be cool.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 04:16:36 PM by redidin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenQueen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010 04:30:45 PM »

oooo Doll maker .... thats creepy ...I like it lol !

Originally I was going to go as a  Leia from star wars ( not the chain mail one lol) { the boy is a Star Wars fanatic)

and he was going to go as Riker from Star Trek TNG ( I am a Trekie lol)

but this is more unique and honestly a little creepier ( with some serious feministic undertones lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redidin
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010 09:32:31 AM »

oooo Doll maker .... thats creepy ...I like it lol !

Originally I was going to go as a  Leia from star wars ( not the chain mail one lol) { the boy is a Star Wars fanatic)

and he was going to go as Riker from Star Trek TNG ( I am a Trekie lol)

but this is more unique and honestly a little creepier ( with some serious feministic undertones lol)

Funny you should mention that--the idea was in part homage to Mari Kotani's brilliant Mad Scientist Japanese Tea Party, an interactive sci-fi performance piece inverting the traditional Japanese maid caf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShoelessJane
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010 04:56:06 PM »

This was a costume from a mid-year "Halloween" party. I cut up a fabulous old Gunne Sax wedding dress, then rebuilt it--and a pair of matching bloomers using a ton of scrap fabric and antique handkerchiefs and buttons. The joints and wind-up keyhole (not pictured) are sharpie, courtesy of The Spouse.

The costume is lovely, but I ADORE the ball joints!  Seriously brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 3
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 4
How to do a Graduated Bob with Shattered Layer - Part 1
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 2
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...