A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maternity Dresses  (Read 1133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 10, 2010 11:30:51 AM »

Having to go to several weddings and looking at maternity dresses in stores, I decided to make my own because it was cheaper and I got to use NICE fabric, not polyester. Anyway, here are the things I have done so far.

Now I am only a month away from giving birth, but I have some more patterns to make for pre/post pregnancy lounging around the house.

This one is Butterick 5348 I made it to fit my new bust measurment and omitted the zipper (I can pull it on just fine) In fact I took out about 3"total from the back. I slightly altered the front empire seam line and added a band with ties. In the back I also added a little elastic to suck up the back a bit.

This one is a pattern I found at work (I work in a costume shop), it is a 1970's McCalls maternity pattern. I am unhappy with it because it is way to big across the armpits and I think it looks a little frumpy. I guess because I said this to my husband before he could say anything he kept on reassuring me I look fine. I realized that I should have used the above pattern as the basis since they both have raglan sleeves. and the top one fits!

The third one I started with McCall's 5843 but again that was silly, because the skirt part is just gathered (more flared than the Butterick) and I completely changed the bodice, so it was more of a complete bodice than a bodice section with wide straps. Again just a pullover style, no closures.

The patterns I am working on next are New Look 6962 (my pattern says 0561, but that comes up with nothing!) I'll have to add some more to the skirt part to make sure it can get around my belly! McCall's 5989 for the nightgown, with a modified top for more coverage and Simplicity 9505 because I am not ready to give up on an elastic neck raglan sleeve item!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
claydaze
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010 11:49:24 AM »

Beautiful work! I especially like the third dress. And that quilt in the background is so colorful. Did you make that, too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010 12:31:18 PM »

Thanks, the quilt was made by a co-worker, half of the fabric in it was scraps/not used from a project at work. I love it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fontiua
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010 01:12:21 PM »

they are supper cute and they look comfy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
Cealy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010 02:07:23 PM »

My favourite is the last one, I love bright colours, you can dress it up with any number of the colours in the fabric.

The one that comes in second is the green dress, I like that you added the ties.

The top, doesn't do you justice-sorry! I think it's too full for your small frame. Can you take out some of the extra fabric along the neckline? Maybe make mini tucks instead of the elastic along the front and back but leave the elastic above the shoulders? Just a suggestion...I do love the colour if that helps! lol

With children 17 and 19 I miss having babies!
Congratulations by the way!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010 02:19:00 PM »

I am not going to do anything about the blue one. What I need to do is to take some of the fullness out of CF and CB. Or my other idea was to change the sleeves to "straps", then I could take in the side seams in the underarm, I think that might work. But I don't think it is worth it. I just don't wear it anywhere out in the "real world". I had contemplated cutting off the top and just making it be a skirt.

I really like the colorful floral one too. I am a bit sad that at some point in time it might be too big in the bust and too gathery when I am no longer pregnant. But I felt better when I realized if I can't alter it, I can take the skirt part (which is a big chunk of fabric) and make something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010 06:46:06 PM »

Wow, you are an awesome sewer!  I like ALL of them, yup - even the blue one! The last dress is just fabulous - great fabric choice and I love the neckline and the shade of green of the first one.

Congratulations and good luck for the remainder of your pregnancy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 10 Swoon-Worthy Palettes and Sets For Any Budget
Tips For Getting a Flawless Foundation
Drew Barrymore Gets Hands On
Hollywood Holiday Glam Secrets
Anna Sui Gives Minnie Mouse a Holiday Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...