As my stepsister was getting married this midsummer at one of the royal castles here in sweden my sister and I thought it fit to get some new fancy dresses to wear.And by 'get' I mean- I sew. So she gave me a pattern she liked for hers which I then altered after her liking, and I designed my own, borrowing the idea with the sleeves cause I liked them.
The waist of my dress is handsewn in a technique I have no idea I know what it's called, but it sort of braids the fabric and I've wanted to try it out for some time so this was my chance.
Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the dresses, only hasty documentations of the whole things, no close ups....
I failed with the upperpart of mine and the seams turned out all wrinkled and stuff, but I'm okey with that.
I'm really sorry about the crappy pictures, I should try to take some better ones some day... It's a shame that the colour of mine doesn't show in the picture really. t's this lovely shade of green and black so that depending on the light it looks either really really dark or it looks shimmering light summergreen.
I also modified a pair of shoes to go with my dress (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349783.msg4077812#msg4077812
and I made kanzashi hairpins to match it too (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349782.msg4077802#msg4077802
Stars_Fire_17 asked for detail pictures and I've totally forgotten to take some so today I remembered and got my butt off the chair to shot some really fast and crappy photos =)
So, here's the lattice/canadian basket:
The back: (as you can see the upper line of the waist is stright and the smocking was done in one stright line as well so I have no idea how the lower edge of the waist ended up like that in the back.. totally incidental, but I guess I like it that way anyhow =)
The smocking from the inside:
I miscalculated when smocking the waist so I ended up with a much larger waist than I could fill up unless I was pregnant.. So I used the scrap pieces to toss together a bag in the last minute, took less than half an hour from when I first had the idea so you can imagine how un-even cut it is ^^
And then the last picture, which is totally unnecessary but amusing. This is a closeup on my dress, and on our crown princess' wedding dress (she got married the week before my sister). Notice that both me and her tailor failed with getting the fabric stright in exactly the same way, at the same place. Somehow I think he should be more ashamed of not putting in the extra effort to fix it...