A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dresses for me and my sister- updated with details shot  (Read 6231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010 01:07:56 AM »

As my stepsister was getting married this midsummer at one of the royal castles here in sweden my sister and I thought it fit to get some new fancy dresses to wear.And by 'get' I mean- I sew. So she gave me a pattern she liked for hers which I then altered after her liking, and I designed my own, borrowing the idea with the sleeves cause I liked them.
The waist of my dress is handsewn in a technique I have no idea I know what it's called, but it sort of braids the fabric and I've wanted to try it out for some time so this was my chance.
Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the dresses, only hasty documentations of the whole things, no close ups....

I failed with the upperpart of mine and the seams turned out all wrinkled and stuff, but I'm okey with that.

The back:

sister's dress:

and back:

I'm really sorry about the crappy pictures, I should try to take some better ones some day... It's a shame that the colour of mine doesn't show in the picture really. t's this lovely shade of green and black so that depending on the light it looks either really really dark or it looks shimmering light summergreen.

I also modified a pair of shoes to go with my dress (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349783.msg4077812#msg4077812)
and I made kanzashi hairpins to match it too (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349782.msg4077802#msg4077802).

UPDATE:

Stars_Fire_17 asked for detail pictures and I've totally forgotten to take some so today I remembered and got my butt off the chair to shot some really fast and crappy photos =)

So, here's the lattice/canadian basket:

The back: (as you can see the upper line of the waist is stright and the smocking was done in one stright line as well so I have no idea how the lower edge of the waist ended up like that in the back.. totally incidental, but I guess I like it that way anyhow =)

The smocking from the inside:

I miscalculated when smocking the waist so I ended up with a much larger waist than I could fill up unless I was pregnant.. So I used the scrap pieces to toss together a bag in the last minute, took less than half an hour from when I first had the idea so you can imagine how un-even cut it is ^^

And then the last picture, which is totally unnecessary but amusing. This is a closeup on my dress, and on our crown princess' wedding dress (she got married the week before my sister). Notice that both me and her tailor failed with getting the fabric stright in exactly the same way, at the same place. Somehow I think he should be more ashamed of not putting in the extra effort to fix it...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010 06:11:56 AM by lelyonna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
raennn
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010 01:22:42 AM »

I really love that braided technique thing you did, and the color and everything! The back looks beautiful. Shame you don't have a pic with you and the hair ornaments and shoes, must look fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010 01:24:43 AM »

They are gorgeous.  Can you show us a close up of the detail on yours?  It looks pretty amazing from what I can tell. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010 01:40:56 AM »

thank you both =)

stars_fire - I'll try to remember to take detail pictures soon =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010 03:46:09 AM »

wow, gorgeous.
The detailing is beautiful - I love the way it curves down at the back waist. Lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smokering
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010 04:16:07 AM »

Wow! I LOVE that braided look - it works great with that fabric especially. Could you tell me how you did it, point me to a tute online - anything? My sister's getting married in November. :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010 05:08:40 AM »

*laughs* zoma- the curving at the back was completley incidental. I have still no idea how that happened, but I like it that way too =)

smokering- I really really love the braided look too. A friend of mine made a simple and instructive tute for the lattice smocking that I followed: http://katafalk.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/lattice-smocking/ She's a true ace when it come to crafting. Totally brilliant person, and always willing to help and share tutorials =) I love the technique, even though it's a bit time consuming to draw up the squares at the start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimbleshi
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010 05:11:03 AM »

The beautiful braided part (especially on the back!) more than makes up for any issues that you had with the seams!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010 06:53:14 AM »

I pretty much agree with what everyone said- I love your dress and it is super flattering!!I'm gonna have to try that tutorial now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010 06:55:40 AM »

These are simply stunning. Amazing. I love the braided effect especially.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Burn Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Dodge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Sponge and Focus Tools
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Burn Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Dodge Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...