A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Kilt Hose  (Read 1167 times)
Tags for this thread: kilt_hose , socks  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2010 07:59:00 PM »

I desperately wanted to knit a pair of kilt hose, and luckily, I have a number of kilt-wearing friends.  One of them is now the proud owner of a pair of hand-knit kilt hose. 

I searched Ravelry for appropriate patterns and sent them to him, then used his favorite.  They're made of Cascade 220 in a heathered grey wool.  The pattern calls for worsted on size 3's, and the cable twists are only 3 rows apart.  This is a DENSE fabric, with TIGHT twists.  The resulting hose are completely awesome, but they are a real pain in the... wrist... to knit!!

On his well-formed calves:

The back shaping:

Some in progress pictures where you can see stuff better.  (He obliged me by taking pictures of himself wearing the hose, but was, unfortunately, doing it alone with only a camera phone.  So you really can't see the detail well in the finished pics.)

And my favorite part... The magic toe!  This was my first pair of toe-up socks, and I am in love with the short row toe!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
karmickaboom

You can be my flamingo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010 08:27:09 PM »

Nice! They look really cushy....and I am so wanting to make socks from the toe up and with a short row toe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010 08:33:37 PM »

I don't know if I would call them cushy, but they are really dense and warm.  They should soften up after they're properly washed, but I sent them home with the recipient unwashed/blocked so that he could work some shaping magic if he needed to during that first-wash process.  They are actually pretty stiff right at the moment.  But they were totally worth the work!

The short row toe is so darn slick!  Everyone should learn it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010 10:05:04 PM »

These look amazing, and very complicated! I could see him wearing these with his kilt and hearding in the sheep on a dreary morning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010 07:06:42 AM »

Very nice work! I don't even wear kilts, but I totally want to make a pair now, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010 04:53:08 PM »

I love short row toes too!  It makes so much more sense to me to make socks that way.  Then you can stop when you run out of yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010 07:53:17 PM »

That is really only my first completed pair of socks.  (I'm ashamed to admit!)  I have two other pairs started...  The first pair was Jaywalkers, and I got to the first gusset and realized they were too small for me, so set them aside until I could decide either to frog and make them bigger for myself, or make them bigger for me, and in the meantime, started a second pair of Jaywalkers in another colorway and got through one, then set it aside to work on gifts.  I really should be finishing it up, but I'm taking a knitting break to get some sewing done. lol  Meanwhile, the Lolita Legs I made for the Be Awesome Swap were socks number 2, fast on the heels of these here Kilt Hose, and they used a figure 8 toe, which is also pretty slick, but not as elegant, I think, as the short row. 

I really do prefer working them toe up, though!  On these kilt hose, it didn't matter SO much, as they needed to be a specific length, and if I'd run out of yarn early, I'd have had to buy more.  (I came within about 10 yards on yarn!)  But it was especially handy on the Lolita Legs.  Each sock took one ball of yarn, and I knitted until I pretty well didn't have yarn left, so that I could be sure they'd stretch high enough to use with a garter belt.  Worked a treat!  I'll finish up my Jaywalkers as is, but after that, I think I'll try to work toe-up more than not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change a Photo
How to Change Magazine Template Title
How to Adjust Sports Photos
How to Use the Free Backdrop Overlay Template
How to Add a Dark Edge to a Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...