A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Floral Tank Top Tutorial (IMG heavy)  (Read 2006 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmh5
« on: June 27, 2010 07:13:03 PM »

By request, I have put together a tutorial on how to make the floral tank top, shown here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349842.msg4078413#msg4078413

1. You'll need a plain white tee shirt(or other color/material) of your choice that you don't mind cutting up. Fold it in half.

That way you dont have to cut so many; it's all done at once!

2. Cut various sized circles out of cardstock or cardboard and place them on your shirt.

3. Trace with a fabric pen(washable!) and cut out.

4. You are going to take each circle and fold them in half, three times. So they end up like this:

5. Next, thread a needle with the color of your tank top and insert it at the bottom of your folded circle.

6. Weave the thread in and out a few times, staying near the bottom. It doesn't matter how it looks, no one is going to see it. Don't forget to knot it!

7. Unfold your circles. The more folds you do, the "rufflier" it will appear.

8. After you have cut out the amount of flowers you would like to use, choose an embellishment to go in the center. My JoAnns class showed the finished product using sequins. *Warning*: if you do decide to use sequins, they will require much more sewing.(I will explain why in a minute.) I decided to go with this:

SIDE NOTE: I would reccomend sewing your plain flowers to your shirt now. It makes placing your embellishments on them later a lot easier!

9. Cut your strand into small pieces, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. If you use sequins, the thread that holds them together will come apart, leaving you with individual sequins. So be careful when choosing your embellishment. Plain ribbon is a good option to use.

10. Fold your cut piece to your liking and hold it up to your flower to determine how you want it to look like.

11. All that's left to do now is sew it on to your shirt inside the flower. I chose not to do the embellishments on every flower.

VARIATIONS: You can alter this tutorial a few ways. I have the flowers on my tank top spread out for a more casual and deconstructed look. You can place the flowers tight together, along the collar, etc. I have done this with another shirt and even placed some of the flowers on the straps.

Instead of cutting circles, I have read that you can acheive this look using a heart cutout.

The combinations are endless, making this a great accessory to add to any shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010 09:40:12 PM »

This is too cute! Definately will try this one out soon  Grin  Thanks for the tut.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
mmh5
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010 10:32:29 AM »

A side note(that I should have put in the acutal tutorial) is, that if you do want to try this out, I would suggest NOT using cotton for your flowers. They will shrink and shrivel up in the wash and come out in small tiny clumps that do not resemble  flowers in the slightest. I found this out after I had washed mine. If you would still like to use cotton, then definately hand wash it. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StripedPajamas
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010 09:14:15 AM »

Regards to the cotton, what if it's been prewashed? I always prewash and iron my fabrics so I'm guessing the shrinking won't be a problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...