A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: returning to the dorms....  (Read 1036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2005 08:46:29 PM »

so in an attempt to save money, i'm becoming a resident assistant again at my college. the problem is that i've lived off-campus for two years and have accumulated so much stuff (crafting and otherwise)! also my future room is about 8'6" by 10'6" and my current room is 11' by 11' with a full wall of closet space... so that doesn't help.  Grin the new room includes a twin xl bed, a closet (about 5' long i think), a desk, a chair and a minifridge in said space.
does anyone have any ideas for organization or a good way to get stuff off the floor? a cheap place to buy shelves or something? i can't make any major holes in the wall but little ones i could cover up might be fine.
i've already succumbed to the idea that i'll need to loft my bed.  Tongue lol please help so i don't stress out about this anymore! Wink
tyia,
kristen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambivalentgirl
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 10:57:16 AM »

Yay I am going to be a resident assistant in the fall as well.  I lived in the halls last year, but had a roommate so I couldn't go decorating crazy.  I live in an apartment at home and it is very similar to dorm life because we can't put holes in the walls, paint, etc.  Always a challenge!  I think fabric is going to be my answer this year.

Wal-Mart has a 6ft tall bookcase for only $30...five shelves and you can get it in white, some wood looking color, and black.  I think I am going to buy the black and that will get a lot of my stuff off of the floor without putting holes in the walls.

Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 03:16:43 PM »

Office Depot recently had a great deal on 6ft shelves for $30 (free shipping), but I think it's over. You should check www.dealnews.com for notice of office furniture sales.

I am not sure if I am thinking of the same walmart ones, but there are some with tubes holding up flat pieces of wood. They are $20 plus about $7 shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005 04:41:58 PM »

thanks for the help on the shelves you two! i'll have to check out that website, moonunit.
i tried to devise a way to keep some of my yarn, my sewing machine and my guitar in my room... i was looking at the walmart website a couple days ago and saw that they had an adjustable garment rack for $20. it's good because it expands heightwise and widthwise. i thought maybe i could put that under the loft bed and use it for clothes. so maybe my craft stuff can be kept in the closet? sounds like it might work. Smiley
this might be super-dorky but because i'm afraid of falling from the top of the loft bed, i want to get one of those bed rail things toddlers use (lol) and maybe sew a cute cover to make it less juvenile. otherwise the side would be left open... and it's not like i regularly fall out of bed but i've been off-campus, sleeping in a queen-size bed for two years! kind of gotten used to that! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambivalentgirl
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 05:34:20 PM »

Oh my roommate and I both lofted our beds this past year, and I hadn't slept in one since I had bunk beds when I was a little kid.  I've been sleeping in a full bed closer to the ground for about 8 years!  And neither of us ever fell out - she was near the window too (on the fourth floor!).  I think the threat of knowing you will be in severe pain if you ever think about rolling out keeps you from doing it your sleep.  So if you don't find anything, I wouldn't be too worried.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Totally Different Ways to Wear Cutoffs
5 Hottest Swimsuit Trends for Summer
How To Choose The Best Swimsuit For Your Body
Choosing the Right Fit for Your Body
Bobbie Thomas Joins Marlo Thomas
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...