A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's gold, it's denim, what should I make with it?  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moonwells

Fabric - It's only an addiction

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2005 07:42:00 PM »

I have 3.5 yards of 60" wide gold denim, fairly lightweight, that I finally purchased after about a month of admiring it every day at work. I'd like to make it into a dress, but I can't seem to find any patterns that strike me as perfect. So I decided to cast around for any ideas, and this is the perfect place to find them, Wink This fabric IS over-the-top, in an absolutely awesome way, and while my poor little webcam doesn't do it justice, here is a picture:

As you can see (sort of), the wrong side is a darker, slightly less sparkly version of the front.

Any thoughts or ideas would be more than welcome - thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005 09:11:22 PM »

I would look for a pattern that gives the fabric the most oomph.
Sounds like you really love the fabric so would a pair of pants and matching top show it off well for you?

Would breaking it up into pants and top or even skirt and top show off the fabric the best?
Or would you like one long line out of the fabric as a dress? A knee length dress or a long one?

Does the fabric speak for itself or would you add a funky trim to it? Really cool buttons?

I think you need to decide how much the fabric would speak to you in the first place.  How often would you wear it? Lots because you love it or once in a while to make a statement?

I know this doesn't help you decide but hopefully gives you another way to look at your fabulous fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonwells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005 10:48:17 PM »

Thanks for the questions back - believe it or not, this is actually helping me think things out better. I tried bouncing ideas off of my mother and coworkers, but none of them really got how awesome this gold denim is (ha!). 

The skirt/top idea I do like, same with the dress, most likely of a short/mid length. I am not bold enough to make pants with this, they'd just get hidden in the very back of my closet and never worn,  Wink. I'd love to try and show both right and wrong sides of the denim, perhaps using the darker to accent the light.

The fabric speaks for itself, easily. Trims would have to be minimal and well-chosen, otherwise I'd run the risk of being too far over the edge (which is not me - gold denim aside, Wink). For me it would also be a "once in a while to make a statement" sort of thing, as opposed to a "wearing it all the time" kind of dealio. However, I also need to shy away from going too formal, for that would pretty much take away any chance of actually wearing it.

Ahh, so much to think about!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005 10:57:55 PM »

Glad to help out.  I think a skirt and top would be great! You could reverse the denim and use a lining around the neck and maybe the hem. Or on the top do the front and back in front colour and the sides in the reverse colour. Glad to have helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005 06:07:17 AM »

I'd have a look on www.yoox.com and www.netaporter.com for denim styles, then do your own version! also (I think) Proenza Schouler showed a FAB skirt for spring/summer which would look great in your fabric...it was a very slim fit tapered pencil skirt with a feather fringe at the hem-yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonwells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005 09:58:16 AM »

Thanks for the links, Delores! On a side note, I still find it hard to believe people can shell out that much on a dress, even if it is a designer one, lol.

There are some good ones on both, my "Ideas" picture folder is growing rapidly. So far, the deep v-neck has emerged as my first decision - straps, not halter (gotta hide those ever-present bra straps!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Reformed Terrorist Kamal Saleem
Leviathan and Bohemoth Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz
Author Martin Lindstrom on Brand Sense
Mickey Rapkin Talks About His Book Theater Geek
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...