A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organization  (Read 1815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenallie03
« on: June 25, 2010 08:12:04 PM »

So I have tried many types of crafts and still find myself coming back to my love of needleworks. I have done cross stitching kits so everything all comes in the general amount that you need and when you finish it's not a lot so there's no need to keep it.

I am going to start on a project of my own where I buy everything so now I have no idea what to do with my thread or what to do with it when I'm done.

What kind of organization do you guys use to keep track of thread during and after a project? I want to start off kind of being set up or a few years down the road I will have a giant box full of random thread loose everywhere. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CarrottessSparklepaws
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010 05:15:51 AM »

I have the same question!  Right now all my thread is wadded up in a tiny plastic bag, held together with a needle.  Not exactly efficient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can call me Beka Smiley
No stitchy makes me twitchy
A Dream is a Wist Your Heart Makes...
My Pinterest
AGFH
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010 06:24:09 AM »

I use floss bobbins and boxes. They are really cheap, plus you can actually make the bobbins yourself out of things like cereal boxes.

Here are the bobbins. Simply wrap each color on it's own bobbin. There are plastic and cardboard bobbins, I prefer the cardboard. Note that there is space on either end to write the color number:

And here is the box. They come in several different sizes and some have a spot on one side to keep your needles and a small pair of scissors:

Place the bobbins in the box(es) in numerical order and BOY HOWDY, you are organized and neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
CarrottessSparklepaws
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010 06:27:43 AM »

I use floss bobbins and boxes. They are really cheap, plus you can actually make the bobbins yourself out of things like cereal boxes.

Here are the bobbins. Simply wrap each color on it's own bobbin. There are plastic and cardboard bobbins, I prefer the cardboard. Note that there is space on either end to write the color number:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/AGFH/FlossBobbinsCard.jpg

And here is the box. They come in several different sizes and some have a spot on one side to keep your needles and a small pair of scissors:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/AGFH/flossbox.jpg

Place the bobbins in the box(es) in numerical order and BOY HOWDY, you are organized and neat!

Can you come to my house & do this for me  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010 07:06:42 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: Please don't quote photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can call me Beka Smiley
No stitchy makes me twitchy
A Dream is a Wist Your Heart Makes...
My Pinterest
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010 02:22:21 PM »

I'm the same way with bobbins and boxes.  I picked up a TON of the DMC boxes when some local craft store had them on sale for half price (or less) so that covered my collection. 

Another great means of storing floss on bobbins is tackle boxes!  They come in many different sizes and shapes, so the possibilities are wide open.  Plus, they tend to be cheaper in general than the specifically marketed craft organizers and they're all the same stuff. 
Or you can get some of those little binder pages designed for floss bobbins and put them in a three ring binder.  Personally, I find the box method easier and it conserves a little more space.  Other people use the little holes in the top of the bobbins to loop them all around a large hinged ring that opens and closes.   

Some people use DMC's StitchBow storage system too.  http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/1a010100kk/en_US/StitchBow-Storage-Systems.html   If you have many different colors stored this way, I find it takes up more room than it's worth.  Again, that's just my preference.   

All in all, I prefer the plastic box style storage for bobbin wound floss.  They are stack-able.  I can label the boxes with my label maker so I know right off which numbers it contains (ie 310-666).  It also is my favorite way of keeping the dust out of my craft supplies.  I live in a very dry climate, and my apartment has a suspended ceiling that seems to generate dust daily. 

Another cool thing- if you have awful handwriting (I do- it resembles a second grader's scrawl) there are little stickers with numbers that you can buy for DMC brand floss, which stick right on the bobbins!  Or you can mess around with a label maker and DIY too.  (I've done both.) 

I found it was actually pretty relaxing to wind the bobbins, label, and organize them during the evenings when my eyes were too tired to stitch.  Now my DMC is all boxed up on bobbins stacked on the craft drawers for easy access.  It was a HUGE project when I started, but it went pretty fast. 

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010 02:24:53 PM »

I love DMC for their neat solutions for embroidery work!
I have a wonderful organizer for one embroidery project. It is from DMC only, so specifically designed for their threads, but I'm currently using it with a different kit, and I'm loving it. Bought it with my very first paycheck ever, so it's kinda special...

http://www.dmc.com/majic/pageServer/02010100oy/en/ct/os/prid/21421/index.html

Mine is blue though...
DMC has got a nice thread organiser in that travel bag, and I just saw that they got it in a binder too. Might be an idea too...

http://www.dmc.com/majic/pageServer/02010100oy/en/ct/os/prid/21410/index.html

EDIT: Damn, Listessa beat me to it :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
queenallie03
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010 10:13:21 PM »

I saw both of the DMC ways to organize everything, the bobbins and the longer thread holders and I was honestly looking between them for 5 minutes. XD My Joann's trips can never be simple. I thought the bobbins would be a bit nicer just because they are more compact and now that I see your pretty box AGFH I think I am going to try that one. It seems to hold more than the box for the stitch bow could. Plus the bows are actually set up t hold the little piece of paper that says the number on the thread, and I am quite sure I would lose them.

The only problem I will have now is to keep myself from buying at least one of every thread because they're all so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010 12:51:46 PM »

The only problem I will have now is to keep myself from buying at least one of every thread because they're all so pretty!

I really don't have an answer for that part.  Wink  I recommend ebay, walmart (if you can find one that still sells DMC.  Mine discontinued it much to my dismay) finding stores with closeout specials, thrift stores, and super duper coupons for collecting!  In defense of having a huge variety of floss on hand at all times, it's very handy.  You will rarely end up needing something after all of the local craft stores are closed!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
wvudarling
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010 10:38:39 AM »

It's OK to have one of each.  I actually couldn't stop until I had bought one of every DMC color and wound each one on a bobbin and stored them in the little boxes.  Good luck with organizing, I agree that it is a big project at the beginning, but it is goes quickly and it is definitely worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NancyDrew01
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010 11:30:36 AM »

I find winding floss onto the bobbins to be incredibly relaxing. I also find it helpful that when I start a project I put all the bobbins I'll need for the project in a ziploc bag. That way I'm not constantly messing around with my bobbin box, and sometimes it even works to make me realize I won't have enough of a certain color before I get to the point I run OUT of a certain color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Turkey Gravy
How to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
How to Make a Thanksgiving Quiche
How to Make Thanksgiving Burritos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...