A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does embroidery thread run when washed?  (Read 1261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ramonarickettes
« on: July 12, 2010 02:28:36 PM »

Hihi! I am going to try embroidery and wondered if there are special considerations re. projects that will see day-to-day use + eventually need washing. I hope to give various things like pillow cases, tea towels and tote bags as Christmas gifts and I'm pretty sure that "hand wash" won't fly with a lot of the busy folks on my list. Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010 01:34:54 AM »

I love to add to my pillow cases, my best tips are, keep your stitches short, start and end with knots (I know to some this is taboo but if it goes in a washer on regular this is the only way to keep it form unraveling), Avoid satin stitch like its the plague, it never lay right after its been threw a spin cycle. And my biggest tip make sure its stretched super tight on your hoop. Thats how my many embroiderd pillow cases has stood the washer many times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010 06:45:55 AM »

I am incredibly hard on my embroidered tea towels. I throw them in the washing machine, dryer. I have never had any problem and actually the stitching looks better cause it can "set" into the material. I've never had problems with satin stitches either. This goes for tinted embroidery too. As far as the dye running. Wash in cold water. Most threads are colorfast so they should not run, if they do, there is a tutorial on this board on how to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010 07:54:05 PM »

I'm with kittykill...most kitchen towels and pillow cases can be washed over and over with no bleeding if you use standard floss like Anchor or DMC. Heck, my Mom put all her towels in bleach water before washing...and the bleach would eat the cloth but not the embroidery floss!  Cheesy

Those flosses as listed on the labels as 'colorfast', meaning they shouldn't bleed onto the fabric they're stitched on. That said, black, red, and blue shades of floss are 'over-dyed' (dipped in dye more times than usual) by manufacturers to get the colors stronger. Some of the excess dye can come out on your fabric in the first wash.

You can help minimize this by pre-soaking your finished piece in water and vinegar (3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar), then wash your piece in cold on a delicate cycle and letting it air dry. After that, you can wash the piece normally....I always do!

You can also do a first wash with a 'color catcher' cloth. They're found in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores. They're a little sheet you put in your washer that pulls excess dye out of fabrics to prevent bleeding. They work very well!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010 07:55:39 PM by lisalady161 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Salon Solutions for Frizzy Hair
Hair How To: Victory Rolls
How to Curl Your Hair Using a Flat Iron
Hairapy Ep 108: Leah
How to Maintain Your Neckline
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...