A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday-June 25,2010  (Read 2763 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shootenanny
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010 09:03:57 PM »

Thanks! And yeah, it is just practice, I only got my first wheel a month ago. I'm a knitter, I love knitting sweaters, so I've been trying to learn to spin evenly and as thin as possible.

I don't have any plans for that yarn just yet, if you want to buy it/swap me for it ...  Wink

Can't wait to see your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady_sepulchre
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010 10:04:52 PM »

I am sooo envious of those of you with wheels!

Shootenanny, love your yarn! it looks amazing!

Bombay may end up on my etsy, depending on how it turns out, but if it does get knit into something i will definitely let you guys know how it turns out next fiber friday! And yes, my man knits like crazy. im more of a crochet girl but he can knit anything. Hes currently doing mittens and baby sweaters, but recently he made an AWESOME toddler vest adapted from the cover of the Left 4 Dead 2 game. Its got the zombie hand with two fingers knitted across the back of it. He makes his own knitting patterns too, because he just HAS to be better at everything than I am  Roll Eyes hehe. he even spins, though I have yet to convince him to get on craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
http://www.wists.com/lady_sepulchre
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
rizzleraz
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010 10:18:35 PM »

This is my first skein. It's only 26 yards. Light pink. It went a lot better than the little trial I did, it's still not worsted though. booooo. I'll get there though. After I can scrounge up more money for wool. Tongue I used the red Dylon dye and it turned this really cute pale pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_sepulchre
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010 10:22:26 PM »

beautiful color rizzleraz! makes me think "tea rose" for some reason. nice vintage-y pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
http://www.wists.com/lady_sepulchre
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
Azzarath
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010 12:38:03 AM »

And behold! the dye batch of Fail.

It's been plied with a really quite nice variegated brown single which has (sort of) saved it.... i think....
I'm still unsure about it but at least it won't go to waste, which is the main thing really. Been a pain getting through the dye batch of fail though i'll say that much  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dwarf fort 'FUN'
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010 06:46:25 AM »

Belladune- That's amazing for a 5yr old far far far better than my first attempts 

Don't forget he didn't draft it or anything.  And I set the wheel to an appropriate twist and feed setting, all he really did was let the pencil roving feed and treadle. If I ever got him to do a top or anything it'd be a huge mess.  Pencil roving's all he's going to be able to do for a long time, where as you (and anyone else) will be doing really cool yarns, and laceweights, and stuff  like that well before he ever will!

Rizzleraz- The color on that is beautiful!  Actually looks close to my first attempt to!
Azzarath-  "Dye batch of Fail" is gorgeous.  I love it.  But I know your pain, I've been there, and then recieved great comments on color too.

yay for Fiber friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachymanaangel
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010 06:54:24 AM »

Great yarns everyone!

Here are some core spun yarns.
They are my first skeins, I used Jazzturle's tut http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-do-i-do-it-coreless-corespinning.html   and the bellwether tutorial http://askthebellwether.blogspot.com/2008/12/yarn-story-core-spinning-ballerina.html  

Jade in the ruff

This yarn I did not spin the over spin the core thread in the opposite direction.
Wool, soy silk, sari silk, thread, fire star, silk noil, and nylon.

Fashion is Danger (blue and red) and Poison (brown and green)

Fashion is danger skeins are core spun with the core overspun in the opposite directions of the ply. Then the core spinning was spun to balance out that twist. .  .  in theory it works. But I found it did not work for me. Jade in the ruff was less over twisted then a these skeins.

Poison is a single with core spun elements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010 09:49:50 PM »

Gosh! You people are making me insanely jealous with all of these gorgeous yarns you're turning out!

peachymanaangel- your art yarns are so funky and fun looking! I really like the Jade in the Rough yarn- there are so many hidden colors in there!

Azarath- I think your Fail is actually my favorite out of all of the yarns posted in the thread Smiley I love the color and it looks so nice and soft to touch and play with ^_^

rizzleraz- Your first skein turned out so even looking! I hope you can find something really awesome to do with it and show off it's fluffiness Smiley

shootenanny- WOW! That's some beautiful yarn you have there- I love the bright colors you used and how they all intermingle with each other!

Cheyenneswthrt07- I love the color that you're spinning! Good luck with getting the singles sorted out so that you can do your plying Smiley Maybe if we're lucky we can see the plied skein next Friday?

Belladune- You're 5 year old did that? ... gonna go hide under a rock for a while until I can get my self esteem back... Ooh... I can't wait 'til my son is old enough to start learning how to craft (he'll be 2 on 11 July- is that too early? lol!)

lady_sepulchre- You already know how much I adore your skeins Wink I can't wait to see more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010 07:19:16 AM »

I put an updated photo of the skein at the bottom of my post.  I finished it lol.  Took 2 days but I did it lol.  

ETA: I double checked my first post.  That was a sucky picture, taken prior to setting the twist.  Here is a happy finished photo that looks better lol.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010 07:21:13 AM by Cheyenneswthrt07 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010 08:42:36 AM »

It's sooo pretty! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Light Socket Multiplication
Building an Affordable Posing Table
How to Choose a Great Flashlights
Making Coroplast V-Flats for Backdrop
Using Light and the Setting in Your Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...