A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,137
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making my black boots brown....  (Read 1559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2010 09:15:32 AM »

So I have these boots that I bought on ebay to wear under my MOH dress in a recent wedding.  As it turns out, I do not like them with anything else.  Now, I am making a Padme costume for an upcoming Star Wars convention and I need brown boots, but do not want to spend a bunch of money on boots, since the rest of the costume is adding up.  My MOH boots would be PERFECT... IF they were brown.  Below is a picture of similar boots.  Mine are a bit shiny, leading me to believe they are sealed.  I read on another topic, to use acitone before painting, and someone else said Krylon spray paint (I think...).  Any new suggestions for my boots?  My biggest concern is using the wrong paint and
1. dying my pants brown while wearing them together (the boots will be worn OVER the pants though)

or

2. the paint cracking throughout the day due to the floppiness of the leather.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 09:27:31 AM »

Well, if they are shiny, they've probably been sealed already.  I'd suggest getting some leather dye, from Tandy leather, if there is one in your area and doing a spot check somewhere that wouldn't be very noticeable.  Either your dye will bead up on the surface or sink it.  If it beads up, you're SOL.  Even if it sinks in the best you could hope for is a very dark brown since the leather is already black.  It would be like trying to dye black hair brown. 

Spray painting would give more opaque coverage, but as you said, it probably will end up cracking and peeling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katrin
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 11:26:35 AM »

There is a colour for leather which is already died. I know two brands, you can try googling them:
Cova Color or Fiebings Acrylic Dye for leather. The only source I have is in Germany unfortunately but there will be sources online for sure. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 05:18:30 PM »

If you can't get the painting to work well enough, maybe boot covers over the paint? Covers often don't go over the entire toe area, but if you had the paint with covers on top it might work, since the most flexible parts would then be covered in brown material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Stir Fry Meal
How to Make Yakitori
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...