A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,309
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie glazing problems  (Read 1113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ey_re
« on: June 24, 2010 05:50:17 AM »

I am new to polymer clay and wanted to use it mainly for beads.  I made two batches of beads.  I read or saw online when glazing to just put them on toothpicks to glaze them.  I did and used Sculpey glaze.  When I let it dry, they were stuck to the toothpicks!   So badly, in fact, I could not salvage them. 
What to glaze them on?  I am so devasted about losing my first two tries!   Undecided

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpetunia
Say No To Drugs, Say Yes To Tacos!!!

Veggie Tales!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 07:53:08 AM »

I'm super sorry to here that you lost them. That's awful!

I use paper Clips. I  pull the paper clip straight out and make the hook at the bottom. I use Eye Pins, and put the paper clip hook though the eye pin top (Goggle them if you're not sure what they are) and then dip them in the glaze. Once I've dipped them, I get a dixie cup and hang them over to let them dry.

BUT! Since you're making beads, I would suggest buying some really cheap paintbrushes and painting the glaze on just the outside of them. Don't do the inside, because like you've figured out they'll stick.

Hope that Helped. I'll check this thread a little later today in case you have any questions as to what I said  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Ashley

~ Amazingly helpful website!!: http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
Blitherypoop
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 08:53:37 AM »

You can glaze them on a toothpick, if you're careful not to drip the glaze.  When I used to make beads as a kid, I'd glaze them on a thin wire, so there was little chance of sticking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ey_re
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 10:03:16 AM »

Sweetpetunia:  Thanks for the idea of using the paper clips!!  I have done a few charms this will work for!  As for the beads, I could still use the paper clips instead of the toothpicks, if I straighten them out I think.

Blitherypoop: No matter how hard I try, I can seem to keep that glaze from dripping down inside a little.  I like the idea of the wire - as I said above, maybe I can straighten out a paper clip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010 10:45:27 AM »

The wire I used to use was much thinner than a paper clip, and much smaller than the holes in the beads.  Beading wire, or similar.

The best way to keep the glaze from dripping is to brush on only a tiny amount at a time.  It gives you better control and a smoother finish.  Just enough to dampen the brush lightly, not enough to drip or ooze.  They dry quickly and you can do a second or third coat until you get the result you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010 06:01:04 PM »

You might also want to check out the info on the Finishes page at my site re applying clear finishes to polymer clay items in several ways and with various materials:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
For brushing on a polyurethane, e.g., check out the subcategory called Application under the category called Varathane.  Varathane is the most common brand of polyurethane that clayers use for a liquid gloss finish, and if you were using a reasonably new bottle of "Sculpey" finish it was probably the same thing just rebottled. 
Some clayers like to use clear cyanoacrylate floor polishes like Future or Mop 'N Glo instead, which are thinner and can also be applied with a cloth or in one's hands (btw Future has recently been renamed Pledge with Future Shine but everyone still just calls it Future).

And for various ways to apply finishes to polymer clay beads in particular, also check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/beads.htm
...click on the Baking, Suspending, Finishing category

That first page linked to will also have some info on how to salvage your beads. Grin

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010 06:17:11 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Prettiest 2-Minute Hairstyle Perfect for Holiday Parties
One-Minute Hair Makeover
What You Need to Change About Your Hair Routine This Winter
How to Do a Plaited Updo
Sleek Ponytail Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...