A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making dog toys?  (Read 1473 times)
Tags for this thread: dog , dog_toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zagster
« on: May 12, 2005 03:17:36 PM »

I really want to make some unusually cute dog toys for my dog, but I'm afraid he'll just tear them apart. (He's a boxer with jowls of steel)

Can anyone recommend a good sturdy fabric to make chew toys out of? What should I look for?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Picasso_blue_dog
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005 05:26:39 PM »

What about canvas?? I have a Lab and she is a chewer. She has one of those heavy duty Canvas fetch toys that float in water and they last a while. Now canvas can be a bit harder to sew but its more durable than your average thin cotton fabric. Also while other "fabrics" like vinyl are hardier they are not good at all if your dog rips aparts and eats. Canvas is 100% cotton so its much safer. Also you can pick up squeakers in a pack at pet stores. This is a big hit with my dog as i sometimes put two in one animal. I squeak one while she squeaks the other. Good LUck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never eat more than you can lift---Miss Piggy
zagster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005 06:15:57 AM »

I actually already have a pack of extra squeakers for some reason, which is why I started thinking about making him some toys. I'll give the canvas a shot. I think I have to curb my urges to make something really cute that he'll destroy. Haha. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meg4568
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005 10:20:51 AM »

needle felting is a good one. (if you dont know how to do it there should be plenty of posts on it, or i can help you out)
1. dogs loove wool roving cuz it smells like sheep
2. the sturdyness of the toy is dependant on how much you felt, not the streangth of the string or the fabric or anything
3. when parts are pulled off they can be felted back on easily.
4. wool and felting needles are cheap!

the only reason i dont use this for dog toys is because i dont want  to encourage my dogs to chew up my work for sale, (which one took the liberty of doing last night)
but i think you should try it out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mek

http://thriftyniftyandchic.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005 03:34:26 PM »

I have a huge black lab that chews and bites through everything. I've given up on finding or making "cute" toys for him. Instead, I give him plastic milk jugs(with the lids off). He loves to chew on them and kick them around, and it's a great way to recycle.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenveggie
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005 01:04:05 PM »

I have a four month old terrier and was wondering just the same thing.  '
Anyone trying knitting or crochet?

I figure if I can throw together something quickly, it won't matter how fast she destroys it.  Squeakers are cheap fortunately.  I thought about felting, but she loves to tear the felt off of tennis balls, so I don't know how well they would fare. 

I'll give an update, she should be a good small dog test since she's a destructo-bot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
razberryjam
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 09:46:54 AM »

i've got a 1 year old lab/weimaraner mix, and he rips through everything i give him in under 10 minutes. he thinks the point of toys is to destroy them. i like the milk jug idea. and canvas seems like it would work too. i would steer away from cute, though, at least until you know whether or not the toys will last.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fraxl
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005 03:19:49 PM »

I have a huge black lab that chews and bites through everything. I've given up on finding or making "cute" toys for him. Instead, I give him plastic milk jugs(with the lids off). He loves to chew on them and kick them around, and it's a great way to recycle.  Wink

heee!  i do this with my dog too - using empty 2-liter soda bottles.  i leave the cap screwed on super tight, that way he also cant crush the bottle up too quickly. 
the body of the bottle is just big enough that he cant get his mouth around it, so it becomes a great game of chase. he loves the noise the plastic makes too.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005 03:42:13 PM »

*whimper* my first dog did that. my mom has a daycare and we go through milk like crazy so every time my mom or i would rinse out a milk jug and flatten it she was there waiting to chew on it and chase it around the house.
i miss my dog Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Kaiw Sprouts
What is a Kaffir Lime
What Is Galangal
What is Crpy Fried Onions Are
What Are Bragg or Tamari
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...