A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help on a "Amigurumi Knits" pattern  (Read 1488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

obni
« on: June 23, 2010 08:03:53 PM »

Hello, I'm new here and also very new to knitting. So forgive me if the answer to my question is incredibly obvious. I feel a tad bit embarrassed as it is asking it. Anyway, I got the book "Amigurumi Knits" by Hansi Singh and decided to knit up the jellyfish. I casted on the required number of sts for the oral arms and divided them up onto three dpns. But my question is this, the pattern says to "continue working back and forth in rows". I'm a bit confused as to what that means. Do I knit back and forth as I would if I was knitting the regular way on two straight needles? This seems like the only way to go, but the arms look a bit wonky when completed and don't look too much like the picture. Perhaps I'm doing something else wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 06:20:31 AM »

Hi Obni!

I don't have the pattern that you are working on, but if the pattern states to "continue working back and forth in rows" than you definitely should be knitting flat, not in the round.  In other words, yes you would knit it the way you would on two straight needles.  Good luck and definitely post the FO when you finish!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
obni
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 08:48:02 AM »

Ah! Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! I will definitely post pics when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 06:29:39 PM »

Hi Obni! I do have the pattern you're working on and confirm that striker923 is completely correct Smiley.

One thing that is kind of weird about the arms in this pattern is that you have to use the knit cast-on method which is a bit different from the way most people cast on. It's important to get that corkscrew look though.

Good luck with the pattern. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! It's a really fun and challenging book - good for you for giving it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010 07:21:21 AM »

Hi Obni! I do have the pattern you're working on and confirm that striker923 is completely correct Smiley.

One thing that is kind of weird about the arms in this pattern is that you have to use the knit cast-on method which is a bit different from the way most people cast on. It's important to get that corkscrew look though.

Good luck with the pattern. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! It's a really fun and challenging book - good for you for giving it a go!

Sweet...it feels to good to be right, LOL. LimeRiot, I believe I favorited one of your projects from that book that you posted on Ravelry  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
obni
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010 10:21:26 AM »

Okay I'm having trouble yet again with this darn pattern. Except this time I'm confused with the bell and binding off. The pattern says "BO all sts as follows: *turn work and CO 3 sts using the cable CO method, BO 6 sts, repeat from * until all sts are bound off." What does it mean "turn work"? Does it mean turn work over? The next portion says turn work over, so why word it differently here? Also, does the 6 sts that I need to BO include the 3 that I casted on, or is it 6 sts plus the 3 which would equal a total of 9? Last question, I swear, once I've bound off the 6 sts, do I transfer the last stitch back onto the left needle and then CO three more sts? I'm so confused. I've been looking at this pattern over and over and am still unable to figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010 07:25:10 PM »

Yeah - it's not very clear, is it? The other weird thing is that the instructions as written won't give you the same look that's seen in the picture.

If you want the look in the picture, simply bind-off normally - possibly a bit looser than normal actually.

The pattern is written to give a picot edge. Here is a youtube video that describes how to do a picot bind-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwCicUd_dI

Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

obni
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010 02:22:07 AM »

Thanks again for your help. I thought I was doing something wrong since it wasn't coming out like the picture. I ended up binding off normally as you suggested, and what do you know? It looks brilliant! Yay! But thanks for that link, now I'll have something to reference if I chose to use that particular edging in the future.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010 09:13:38 AM »

Excellent!! I'm glad it worked out. I hope you'll post pictures when you finish Smiley.

I really love the Amigurumi Knits book but some of the patterns are a bit tricky. I find myself staring at some of them and thinking "hhhuhhhh?HuhHuh??"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010 06:46:35 AM »

Im glad to know Im not the only one having problems with patterns in this book.  I love the book and have been reading the patterns.  Ive been knitting for awhile but, only on two straight needles, so these patterns with the dpns and circulars tend to confuse me a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume.......
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
How to Use QuickTime
How to Video Encode on the Mac
How to Track Roto Shapes - Motion 3
How to Replace the Sky Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...