A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geocaching swap?  (Read 3740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zigg13pra
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You underestimate my power

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011 02:59:55 PM »

Looking at lots of sites online, I have heard of the wooden coins but they seem to be most popular in Europe.  Here we have metal coins that people are crazy about collecting but they are usually pretty pricy and are hardly ever seen in anything.  There are websites online where you can get coins made how you want them and you can get trackable ones for even more money.  I don't have the money to pay for things to be trackable on geocaching.com, so I have things over on http://www.travelertags.com/

I haven't done much with geocaching since I don't have a gps so I've mainly done letterboxing but I know I like both, each for what they are but most people seem to be just for one or the other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anofeles
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011 03:40:00 PM »

I heard of letterboxing, but I think it's mainly American thing (at least in the Czech republic are just a few letterboxes, all of them far from me), so I've never tried it.
I haven't GPS as well, so I can't hunt multi-caches and the rest goes slowly, but I think I can enjoy geocaching without GPS even more then with it. I've found cca 50 caches (not many, I know), all of them without GPS, and it's always an adventure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nghna7t
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011 07:24:28 PM »

I'm a novice cacher - but yes, there are many types of custom items.  Some will have custom buttons, some have fancy metal tags, some are hand made type items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!
zigg13pra

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011 09:36:58 PM »

Letterboxing here in the us still isn't as popular as Geocaching.  In the smallish town I live in, there was 1 letterbox, but has disappeared, yet in the single park that it was in there are at least 40 geocaches there...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 02:45:04 PM by zigg13pra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehajerika
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011 07:52:46 AM »

Ok, so I am thinking 4 points for your partner, either 2 mediums or 1 medium two smalls, and 3-5 small or very small crafted items for geocaching. Or if you letterbox, a hand carved (or store bought, if necessary) stamp. You will be able to say whether you geocache, letterbox or both. I am thinking about 2 weeks for signups and a month for crafting.

Let me know what you think of this and I will get started in setting it up.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anofeles
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011 09:05:14 AM »

You mean those 3-5 small items as a swag? Anyway I think it's fine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zigg13pra

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011 01:26:34 PM »

I think that sounds good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SMLounsbury
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011 01:42:36 PM »

We just started this on Sunday.  I'd definitely be interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011 02:54:01 PM »

I much prefer the craftster size guidelines to points... I tend to avoid the point ones. But don't mind me since I might not be able to join the swap anyway.

Would the swag have to be crafted or could it be store bought? 2 medium + 3-5 small would be a rather large swap. (I know, I know, that was about the swap size I suggested earlier... Um... Just thought of this?) I know in swaps like the magic yarn ball swaps the balls should contain a minimum number of small items and so-and-so many of those have to be crafted. Can't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember that it took a lot of time and effort to fill that ball with small items. Perhaps the swag could be storebought OR crafted depending on the one crafting. Especially since there will be additional crafted crafts. I have plenty of odds and ends that would make fun swag, but not as many ideas for good crafted swag that won't take ages.

I love the idea of leaving miniature socks in caches since it would be so neat and unexpected. (smaller than baby socks) It's just that one of those little suckers will take me an entire evening to knit up. I didn't check the time last craft night I tried that pattern but it must have been 2-3 hours. Possibly longer. I thought about leaving them as signature items, but I'd be bored and have hand pains before I made ten of them Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlehajerika
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011 08:11:31 PM »

Ok, Swap is up and running, please sign up!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=376864.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...