A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Najas Completely DIY Vintage Wedding (a metric ton of pics)  (Read 8766 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 23, 2010 08:51:22 AM »

Oh my goodness it finally happened! Now what am I going to fret over?
I have been posting all over the place on this topic but I thought I would put it all together.

We just closed on out first home at the end of February so we didnt have a lot of money to throw at a wedding. All in all we came in at just over $1500 for everything. Cheap right? But what we didnt pay in money we (I) paid in time.

The day went off pretty well.
One of my bridesmaids did a mimosa bar as her wedding present and it went off great. People loved it. I wish I had a picture of it done but this is her setting it up.

And Erick did the flowers (he needed a one credit class to graduate so he took flower arrainging. It was before me so Im pretty sure he did it to meet girls). This is him making the boutonnieres.

The centerpieces were very simple floating candles and pretty pink and purple flowers floating. I used a piece of scrapbook cardstock to give the tables a little more color.

Neither Erick or I are big into cake. But one of the girls I dance with was starting a cake decoratingventure, and offered to make us a cake. She is a single mom so we kicked her $50 bucks and 10 hours of babysitting (Erick teaches elementary school) for all the effort. She did the design. The feng shui double fish represents prosperity and fidelity.
Half was a ginger cake with leamon icing and the other half was red velvet. It was pretty tasty!

Erick has always been into Tibetan culture so we made prayer flags. I found  8.5x11 sheets of fabric you can print on. And we used about a yard of each of the colored fabric. I think 120 favors cost us about $60. The wording says Love is in the air, breathe. And our names and the date. The picture is our shadows over when they broke ground on the house. The reception was at the house so it was fitting.

As a guest book I found a 1949 Remington Rand typewriter for cheap on ebay. People hat a lot of fun and the things they wrote are hilarious. Oh and I took a bunch of picks from The Graphics Fairy for all the signs.

Oh and the table cloths I found at target for $12.99.

Another of my bridesmaids made our card box out of an old train case. It fit perfectly.

One of my favorite projects was the DIY photo booth. A friend of mine tried to take a bunch of picture frames to Goodwill and they were going to throw them away. I snagged a fancy one and gave it a good coat of paint and some gold and bronze touches to age it. We hung it from the ceiling with some fabric draped in back and ta da. One photo booth. Cost $0. oops I lied Erick, had to get molly bolts cuz the screws kept pulling out of the drywall $3.99.

I tied a simple digital camera to a table we had and people use it to take the pictures.

my mom and dad

we hand made the fan programs and tied them to bubbles. Again thank you Graphics Fairy.

We splurged of the flowers. And by splurge, we spent $250. We had a nursery make pretty live pots. I wish we had a better picture of them. But trust me they still look great and are now in our front yard.

Im not going to post too much on the dress because, yes, I made it out of a bed sheet and I want to enter it in this months contest. But here are pics of my dad walking me down the isle.

Instead of bouquets we had calla lilies. They came $14.99 for a bunch of five and I had five bridesmaids so we each gave them one and I got a bunch of five.

I made the ring pillow out of an old book.

not the rings

This is the flower headband I made and the shoes (also sheet fabric) I used vintage costume jewelry for the centers.

I took the pleated ruffle off cuz I thought it looked like a creepy baby head garter.

Thats it for the wedding craftiness. Thank you for enduring all my wedding related posts and giving such helpful feedback to all my questions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010 09:34:16 AM »

WOW!  So many fabulous ideas!

I can't wait to see your wedding dress entry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010 09:44:37 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BIG DAY!!! You made a beautiful bride.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010 10:02:23 AM »

BEAUTIFUL! I love weddings done with minimal financial investement ... I think it sparks more creativity and personality. Everything is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010 10:06:35 AM »

I've been so looking forward to seeing your wedding! Everything is just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010 01:25:00 PM »

WOW those are some of the best ideas I have seen on here to date. Smiley What a beautiful wedding.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo booth !!

Just might have to nic that idea for fund raisers Smiley

Great Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010 01:38:48 PM »

You are extremely creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010 04:19:35 PM »

Amazing!! Ive been looking forward to your wedding pics!! Your parents look like they had a blast too!! you looked beautiful and its wonderful how many talented people all chipped in for your wedding!! (I cant  believe Erick knows flower arranging!!  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
onecraftylady
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010 05:02:07 PM »

I like the fans you made.  Can you explain how to make?  I need for a Christmas favor.  I could make out of old Christmas cards. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010 08:40:13 PM »

Oh so beautiful!!!  You did such a lovely job!!!!  I love it!!!   Did you guys do food?  I'm trying to stick to a tight budget, but food seems to really carry a wallop!
Congratulations on the beginning of your life journey with each other!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make French Toast Skewers
How to Make the Legendary Ghirardelli Hot Fudge Sundae
Devil’s Food Cake Recipe with Fluffy White Frosting
How to Make Ricotta and Strawberries with Lemon Thyme Shortbread
How to Make a No-Bake Peach Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...