A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to Birmingham!  (Read 2355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StarsandRobots
« on: June 14, 2009 06:56:18 AM »

Hi!  I am new to Craftster and I am new to Alabama.  I live in Charleston SC, and will be moving to the Homewood/Mountainbrook area by the first of July.  I have one craft fair under my belt (Crafty Feast, Columbia,SC) and have done a local weekly market (Starving Artists, Charleston)  I am brand new at this!  I was wondering if anyone local and crafty has the downlow on any Craft Markets, Fairs, etc. locally or regionally?  I am trying to find websites with info, but after spending three and a half hours looking at Comic Con events around the country, I throw in the towel and I CRY FOR HELP!  (I mean, Comic Con would be awesome, but I don't think I can make it to California or Connecticut anytime soon!)  any advice?  Alos up for meeting crafty friends, I have a one year old, and am expecting number two in early November.  (Anyone know a good OBGYN who does VBACs?) I sew, I make plush recycled robots and Kissng Star pillows.  Some kid clothing too.  I tend to talk type too much! Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009 05:39:35 PM »

Hiya!

Welcome to Craftster (and to Alabama)! Smiley

I don't know much about the crafty scene in Birmingham, but about an hour's drive North in Huntsville, we are a happy crew. (and many of us with young children and babies too!) Smiley

If you want info on Alabama events and such check out http://www.800alabama.com
It's a tourist site for the state.  You can also search that site for local fests and such.  There are a lot of arts and crafts in the Mentone area on the AL/GA border. 

Maybe we can do BHM/HSV meetups sometime.

PM me anytime you like...I am also a chatty cathy sometimes Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarsandRobots
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009 06:55:09 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  I am glad to hear someone other than my own echo crafting in Alabama!  I was feeling like I might be going to Atlanta for events.  I did look at the tourism site and it seems like tractor show and whatnots in very small areas, I don't know if my robots would go over well!  I am a Renegade Crafter!  More along the indie route than my Mom's stuff.  I could not even find a group in the whole state of Alabama on etsy, they are supposed to have a sub group under Tennessee, but it was not there.  I am thinking crazy thoughts like organizing an Indie Craft Fair in Bham.  I have no experience doing such a thing, of course.   If anyone else is out there, say hello!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eukarya

Crazy loves me!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 08:34:58 PM »

Oh! You *really* belong in Huntsville!  It's a city of geeks and nerds...you can't throw a rock without hitting 3 engineers and 1 physicist.  Robots could go over very well here. Wink

For EtsyTeams, all I've found is Tennessee Valley Crafters.  The Tennessee Valley incorporates a good chunk of N. AL though (I think we have some folks in BHM on the team). Smiley  Maybe we should start an Alabama team. Wink

Take heart! Once you get to BHM, you might find local indie newspapers and such.  After all, if they were easy to find, they wouldn't be indie, right? Wink

Atlanta does DragonCon every year, I understand that that is a huge event...the drive from BHM to ATL is not that bad. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 03:07:46 PM »

We'll have to arrange a Birmingham dinky zoo day for you to have a crafty meet up...
Huntsville IS where it's at though!  There are quite a few of us here - even more if you are a yarnie - Ravely has a slew of Huntsville people.... There are quite a few Alabama crafters though - if you search for Birmingham on craftster you might find a few mentions that can track down some other crafters....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
SillySlippers
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009 08:06:48 PM »

Hey from Tuscaloosa!  Look up Tannehil Trade days.  It's in Tannehil State park on the Jeff Co./Tusc Co. border and is held every 3rd weekend. The both spaces are like $40 and you get some back once you've cleaned up your space. There are several small craft shows/festivals all over the place you just have to hunt them down. I seem to hear about them after the fact.  I'm just going to have to ask around more i guess. Welcome to Alabama!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
feelix

I love Crazy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009 06:31:07 AM »

Welcome to Alabama!

I am also apart of the Huntsville Crew but do love a day trip to Birmingham! Birmingham is the BIG CITY to me.  Grin Whole Foods, The Summit, The Zoo and World Market just to name a few hot spots for me. However, I also like a particular restaurant called the Iguana Grill - its in Hoover by the Galleria Mall.... Its the best tex mex I have ever eaten. Its just good! I try and eat there every time I go into Birmingham. July sounds like an awesome month for a road trip. What do yall think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back from a long break. WOOT!
eukarya

Crazy loves me!

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009 12:42:01 PM »

I'm in! Iguana Grill is Tasty and I always love a trip to World Market. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009 02:05:23 PM »

My kids won't do all the shopping but they do like TexMex that's for sure!  We'll see how it works out for a trip Smiley  Depends on heat and whatever else we have going that week - but I could possibly be up for it...  I also want to hit the Nashville zoo too.... I have been saying that for 2 years now....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
jane dough
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010 09:41:40 AM »

I see I'm jumping on this way late. I hope you've found your niche in B-ham. I currently live in Tuscaloosa, but I am from Birmingham, and I can tell you there is a very creative and crafty scene there. If you haven't yet, you should check out Bottletree Cafe. It's a great restaurant, bar, venue for bands and different things. They also hold a few craft bazaars throughout the year, and I think they do a craft/vintage/yardsale swap thing once a month. I think your robots would go over great there! www.thebottletree.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Chili Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Burger Bar Tips and Quick Recipes
Don’t Tell Mama: Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Family BBQ Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...