A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 23378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MarleesMom
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2011 07:05:13 AM »

I finally did it! It wasn't so much as diving, but more peaking. I went with some friends and didn't find much, but it was a Saturday. I did find an unopened memory game, 3 perfect condition plastic chairs and a cute purple lamp for my LO's room. Found all of those behind Marshall's.

Any suggestions on a good day to go? Or is it more luck? I have tried to go to the Goodwill one 2 times and one time there was a car, the second time a cop. UGH. It's really a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2011 02:42:34 PM »

I just bought a pair of blue heavy duty gloves with an attached sleeve that go all the way to my shoulders (and I have gorilla style arms, so that is a long way Grin) for cleaning (and ousting the many spiders that live every where due to a lack of inhabitants for nearly 3/4 of a year) the fixer upper we just bought  They will be my go to for any dumpster diving I do in the future.  They only cost around 7 bucks at Freight and Harbour in the States Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012 04:52:08 AM »

People here (Tampa Bay Florida) get really weird about it.  They throw stuff away, but get really mad if you try to take it.   I have seen people put trash by the road with signs saying how much they will charge if you take it. 

On the upside, the recycling gods have been super good to me lately.  Someone has left me some kind of reusable item at my mailbox 2 days this week:  A yard snowman- needs some work and electronics- and what appears to be the entire film from a VHS movie.  Not sure what I will do with that.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shashaveli
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2012 02:56:02 PM »

I must admit to well, borrowing bits and pieces...For example I noticed one day that the neighbours had prepared a wardrobe wall for the trash and I thought to myself, what a waste, so I turned it into a kite shield Smiley. I did not shy from prying away leather from old chairs too...Hell, leather is expensive you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Armour for men, women, kids, kittens, bunnies, lego minifigs. There isn't a thing i won't try to clad in iron.

http://drunkethics.blogspot.com/
nonesuch
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012 08:48:01 AM »

One year my boss got an enormous fir wreath to display.  He didn't want it, so I took it home and put it on the side of the house.

After the holidays were over, I opined to the husband that the frame for that wreath was great,but that unwinding all the wire that held the greenery to it was too much trouble. He appeared in the doorway about twenty minutes later, frame in hand.  He had taken the wreath to the middle of the driveway and set it afire.  Snipping the wire off was easy. 

The frame with fake greens decorated our house for several years.  Then  I took the greens off and built a pine cone wreath on the frame.  I donated it to the local animal shelter's Chinese Auction.  My mother won it, offered it for display in her church. After the holiday, the church raffled it off.   Everybody wins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apis_melis
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2013 06:05:18 PM »

My sympathies to Tulane divers and those whose schools are similarly nonsensical. I used to get great free stuff at end of semester when I lived in a university town.

To add to the ridiculousness, a professor friend told me of a student in his program who was fired from a work-study job cleaning out dorms because she took some stuff home. Yup - it was going in the trash.

As if the indignity of getting paid minimum wage for hard work and having it called financial aid wasn't bad enough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2013 05:53:30 PM »

One thing I learned about dumpster/curb diving since I moved to New England is to watch out for bedbugs! They throw so much good stuff away in Boston, but I'm terrified to really dig in! I have found some pretty good stuff up here, but the pleasure of treasure hunting has diminished because of the fear of bedbugs... Has anyone else come across this? I've lived (and trash picked) in SC, CO, TN, VA, IL, TN, NC, GA, FL... And I never heard of anyone getting bedbugs until I moved here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2013 06:45:28 PM »

I live in NY.  DH is an exterminator and is TERRIFIED of us getting bedbugs.  To the point that he had me refuse a PAID weekend trip with my BFF, b/c the place we were going to stay was known to have a bedbug problem.  He also knows first-hand how difficult and expensive it can be to get rid of bedbugs.

That said, my DS dorms in Brooklyn for college.  DH studied his dorm room for bedbugs and found none. I am an avid thrift store and garage sale shopper.  DH asks that I leave my purchases outside our home till he checks them for bedbugs.  Thank goodness, he has never found any, and I've been thrifting and sale-ing for years.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but that is my experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2013 09:36:24 PM »

If you're doing this in New Orleans, watch it.  I have been threatened with arrest at Tulane U, and one of my friends was busted with a truck full of dumpstered stuff and was made to put it all back in the dumpster!  I don't want to discourage dorm diving because those college kids throw away the best stuff, just watch your back!

O.o Because there is no actual crime?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Practice Drawing Bulldog
How to Draw a Duck
How to Draw a Dog
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...