A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 24812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« on: May 12, 2005 11:39:33 AM »

It is the end of the semster here and everyone is cleaning out their dorm/house/apartment. This means that there is tons and tons and tons of free stuff just lying around! People seem more willing to throw stuff away then donate it or take it home with them.

I went by the huge dumpsters that the school puts out for large items and came home with so much awesome junk! I went looking for an egg-crate for my bed and came home with 2. Plus silk flowers, posterboard, a cool new t-shirt, giant post-it note paper and cd's!

There are futon frames, old posters, more wood than you can shake a stick at, folders, art, clothes, craft supplies, and so much more!

I would were closed toe shoes if I were you ( you never know what you are going to find in a dumpster!). Lots of stuff is just sitting on people's trash piles too.

So much good stuff for the taking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005 06:12:44 PM »

yep my school has a program called "dump and run" where people put everything that is usable into giant boxes avaliable in every dorm. Then the stuff is collected and sold at cheap prices at the beginning of the school year for charity (i think). It's a fun place to buy stuff and there's so much stuff to choose from. Of course most of the stuff is used but it's still good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
kellymrocket
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005 06:55:33 AM »

If you're doing this in New Orleans, watch it.  I have been threatened with arrest at Tulane U, and one of my friends was busted with a truck full of dumpstered stuff and was made to put it all back in the dumpster!  I don't want to discourage dorm diving because those college kids throw away the best stuff, just watch your back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 08:17:06 AM »

WHAT?!  They threatened arrest?!  Made him/her put it BACK?!  That's insane!  I don't understand why they don't allow it...  it's not like you're stealing from a store!  You're saving the planet!

All it means is just go in the middle of the night, and have a lookout.  :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
kellymrocket
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 04:05:43 PM »

We've gone in the middle of the night.  At Tulane there are cops on foot and in golf carts, just watching out for suspicious lookin crafty girls. Really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trisarahtop
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005 01:17:13 PM »

Last summer I practically outfitted my summer sublet with things from dorm dumpsters - my lamp, desk chair, tv stand, even my trashcan. Not to mention fans, those plastic drawer things, and a course catalog (which you get for free your first year, but you have to buy after that), and all kinds of cool things to decorate or use for crafts. It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
mh_ccl

Everyone's a super hero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 12:00:36 PM »

OK, I know someone has posted about dumps, but in Alaska we have transfer stations - central spots around town where people bring their stuff to be transferred to the dump. Many of these also have recycle decks - covered platforms where you can drop off still useable stuff.

I'm not ashamed to say I go dumpster diving regularly. Here are some of the things I've seen and/or brought home:
*clothing - dresses, pants, sweaters, shoes, etc.
*books and magazines
*furniture - chairs, ottomans, tables, dressers
*refrigerator - most are gross but I got one in good condition
*10x20 area rug in perfect condition
*a kayak
*a roller tray and paint roller - perfect since I'm painting the house I'm building
*lighting - chrsitmas lights to ceiling fixtures
*electronics - I even got an 8-track player!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naoriesan
Angry Little Girl

Craftster? What is this mecca you speak of?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006 03:19:20 PM »

Dumpster Diving. Yes, awkward subject, I know. I was wondering if any of you guys dive or if you find any good things for crafts. (This is probably more 'recycle' than 'crafts', but honestly, I'll do anything for a bargain!  Grin)

On this same note... I want to start diving,  Shocked but I need a buddy. Is there anyone here from Bellevue-ish Nebraska area?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006 01:30:56 PM by EmilyFlew » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What do you look for in a man?

A high threshold for pain.
pd8151
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006 03:37:41 PM »

I'm not from your area, sorry, but with you in spirit!  I have trained my children to scour the allies while I drive on the way home from school.  I have found some amazing things and turned them into useful stuff.  My favorite piece was a broken shutter closet door.  I sawed it to about 2 1/2 feet long, painted it white, and hung it up on the wall with a red ribbon.  Then I used clothespins and hung up our christmas cards on the ledges.  Sorry, no picture it was before I joined craftser!  Also unfortunately it was accidently broken beyond repair a year ago.
That's my LONG-winded way to say I love dumpster diving/ alley pick-ups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006 03:53:38 PM »

Go for it but be careful if you actually go into the dumpsters.  It helps to always have a sturdy pair of gloves and a stick with you.  And a good supply of bags.  Basically, if it smells or there are signs of bugs or other things...stay away! 

Check to see if your town has a special day for larger item trash pick ups.  It is amazing what people will throw away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select a Digital Camera for Beginners
How to Take High Fashion Photos
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 2/2
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 1/2
How to Work With a Soft Box
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...