A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 24093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xo_duckie_xo
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007 09:23:03 PM »

I Live in the middle of a growing town, a target, home depot, and walmart within walking distance.
And, I live in a townhouse, and they are building more and more.
They've got a huge dumpster right next to my house. More like, forty feet xD

So, me and friends always jump in there and look.
Last time, we found windowpanes, bottles of calk, screens, huge pieces of corkboard, and an amazing vintage school door.

The door was a mahogany color, a gold number plate at the top, a window pane on it, and the original (so I know) bronze-ish knobs.
It was amazing.

So amazing, in fact, that it's on my wall xD

Also,
it is illegal to dumpster dive walmart, target and home depot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/cora__trashed
Le-Chat
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007 12:31:58 AM »

I don't live around any big shops that have dumpsters, but just scouring the curb for the waste of my fellow citizens I've come up with most interesting things. Currently I'm painting my house with leftovers of paint. I mixed all the whites in a big bucket for my living room and the same way I got a bucket of beige for my kitchen. Plus some nice pale orange for my l-room doors and terracotta for the kitchen/bathroom doors. It's an open kitchen and one wall starts in the kitchen and ends in the living room. It's how much paint I will have left which is going to decide  the color of that wall, beige or white. Also, I would have never decided for beige or terracotta in a shop, but I'm convinced it's going to look great! I like the way how circumstance surprisingly changed my color preferences. But the amount this saves me made that easy too. Paint costs a ton here nowadays. I've calculated that altogether it would have cost me up to a 100 dollars to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my t-2-t adventures and my own ecclectic way of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Buy eco-friendly in my Etsy Shop:
http://LeChatCrochet.etsy.com
darkmagyar
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007 06:25:16 PM »

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've dived into a pile of trash or two.  Cheesy

Maybe the people around here don't believe in recycling or donating to Goodwill because I have carried some amazing stuff home like clothing, furniture, jewelry, toys and even a brand new karaoke machine still in the box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007 12:57:46 PM »

We call ours a share shed and I make regular use of it...(dammit I just found gum in the keyboard...note to self kill kids later)  We use decent couches found in the share shed for our firepit and deck, I have found an ironing board wired to plug your iron in to the board and satin fabric as well as stuffies and couch cushions for the dog  and a coffee table book of the works of georgia okeefe I could go on forever but won't. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008 04:23:07 PM »

I have long been fascinated with the idea of getting things that are waiting for the trash man and giving them new life. Any tips on finding things like yarn? What parts of town pay off? Do the cops ever yell at you? How do you get over the social stigma? And how do you avoid nasty kitchen trash?

Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le-Chat
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008 11:14:00 AM »

I find loads of unravelable sweaters in the trash. See my blog (address in my sig) under tags 'recycled yarn'. There's also links for unraveling tips in them. Usually people put textiles in separate bags that they don't even bind off, so I never have had to make my hands dirty on kitchen waste. I would never open a sealed bag anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my t-2-t adventures and my own ecclectic way of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Buy eco-friendly in my Etsy Shop:
http://LeChatCrochet.etsy.com
JDStar
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008 01:23:55 PM »

I don't know about how to get over the social stigma.  I usually DASH in and DASH out.  Once you are a block or so away, you feel better.

We have big trash pick up day once in a while here and you can find some good stuff.  I see it on my way to work and I want to kick myself for not stopping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashadow
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008 12:32:26 PM »

This may not be available everywhere, but for my city there is a map online of what neighborhoods have what trash day.  I just thought about this the other day, and realized I could know where to drive around where I wanted.

...wow, I hope that makes sense...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 10:20:31 AM by ashadow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cubicle dwelling, thrift store shopping, fire spinning, music lovin momma who's kids' eyes roll when she says "I've got a stupid idea" 'cause they know it'll usually turn out fun or awesome, if they give it a chance
Doctor Explosive-doom
( ( M O X I E F A C E ) )

Mama Mia!! Mama Mia!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2008 09:11:00 AM »

My mother is a housekeeper and she went around the neighborhood she works in once looking for coupons. (Actually, she did this on many of occasions.) Eventually some old man yelled at her for going through his recycling bin and called security on her.

Fortunately, security knew her very well and let her off the hook, but she can't do it again. (But she works for enough people to steal their coupons off of them. Lol.)

I can see why maybe going through the recycling bin may be kind of pushing it, but hypothetically, once you put your garbage can to the corner it's public property (or so my father has told me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Fabulous.
oonly1
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009 09:28:39 AM »

It is public property!  The cops can take anything from it without a warrant.  Happened to a friend of mine~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
How to Take a Portrait Picture
How to Photograph with a Tilt Shift Lens
How to Photograph with Infrared
How to Shoot an Engagement Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...