A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 24815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hylas
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007 10:17:09 PM »

So here is that fake leather chair I said I would post.  What a find.  Definitely worth picking up.  I had to use a shop vac to clean the rain from it, but it didn't mold at all!

http://heather.homelinux.org/dumpster-diving-and-scavenging
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject
the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to
serve man.  ~Lynn White, Jr., "The Historical Roots of Our Ecologic
Crisis," 1967

heather.homelinux.org
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007 06:07:24 PM »

Wow, what a marvelous find! That leather piece is grrrreat!!  Grin  Another tip: even regular trash days are good, - really, the night before trash day pick up. *sigh* 

When we moved out, I put out over a dozen wallpaper sample books with a sign above that they were FREE. I hated to let them go, but y'know...moving stinks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007 11:30:25 AM by staciart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hylas
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007 02:10:49 PM »

You know, the funny thing is that looked at that picture again.  I didn't pay for anything in it!  The plants were from starts, the pillow is handmade by a friend, I made the blanket, and the tables were from free boxes.  I got the lamp for $1 at a sale.  Some things ARE free in life.  Yippee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject
the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to
serve man.  ~Lynn White, Jr., "The Historical Roots of Our Ecologic
Crisis," 1967

heather.homelinux.org
whitestar
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007 06:48:10 AM »

That chair looks so comfy!
I have been considering this for awhile and a friend of mine who's done it before strongly urged me to hit our local college in the near future, since it's Spring Break and folks will be going home & possibly throwing out their stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadco123
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007 10:33:52 PM »

So who do you call at the universities to find out when "move out" day is?  I live in a big university town!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007 03:52:27 AM »

So who do you call at the universities to find out when "move out" day is?  I live in a big university town!!!

Pull up the university website and look for a link for "academic calendar" or "semester schedule"--this will usually note the end of term. 

The website should also usually have a "housing" link that might have more specific information about move-out dates, and will also have a phone number for a Director of Housing or housing coordinator, if you want to ask about their dumpster-shopping and/or tag sale policies.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hooksforfeet
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007 05:17:18 PM »

I'm sorry to bump the thread, but I just wanted to share a little knowledge I learned in my days of working at McDonald's. (LOL @ me <--------former McLoser.)

Anyways. Some stores will let you go through their recycling bins or dumpsters so long as you clean up your mess and ask them nicley (just say you're looking for boxes.)

You can get a fine (in most places) if you get caught dumpster diving. But if it's not in the dumpster (like say, big pieces that are outside on the street) its litter and it's up for grabs. I think that technically you're doing a service for the city if you take old chairs and stuff. Weird.

And don't do it in any big cities or near the downtown areas. It's garbage for a reason. I only have one word left: Syringes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007 05:51:43 PM »

Check out my blog for a record of my last 3 weeks of curb shopping.  It's "Spring Clean Up" time in my little town, and that means awesome free stuff for me!  Grin

http://samann1121.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007 09:55:20 PM »

I work in construction  and I find all kinds of stuff in the jobsite dumpsters- better yet, I can usually scout out what is in there from the window in the house I am painting- birds eye view. Cool
Some of the guys know the kinds of materials I like and will often offer it to me before they trash it.

The construction sites frown upon dumpster diving that is done by folks who do not belong on the site, but they do not often make a big deal out of it.  Those of us from the job who dive don't really care, after all, we get first dibs and elevated views Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
Leoreai
Self Appointed Master of Gypsie Jazz

Booya!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007 02:55:14 AM »

In my city there are drop boxes for donated clothing only /recycling /etc. often times left outside are other msc junk and often a few finds. Id never take the stuff out of the boxes. they are for a great cause... but the stuff outside they are gonna trash anyway!  If your area has any of those kind of dropoff facilities take a look, Ive found wicker chairs, neat bags and alot if different stuff outside of those bins. Better used than thrown away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rational mind needs a bit of nonsense to define sense.  Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Gabby_Giffords_Sizzle_Lock_MM
DIY Noodle Jewelry
How to Use a Kindness Jar
Use Natural Dyes for Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...