A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 23944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006 01:25:00 PM »

I miss Germany. Twice a year (i think it was, but I was a little kid) they did taxes and apparently they were taxed on things they owned. People would pile things on the curb and we called it junking. I remember being out walking for hours and carrying home armloads of things. Toys, accesories, FURNITURE!

Man I miss that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006 03:40:27 PM »

by the way, what is DH?

Dear/Darling Husband
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007 12:25:36 AM »

I just found out that dumpster diving is allowed in my town as long as you dont make a mess and that you dont break locks or anything like that. yeah so i guess my county allows it. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
Shazrasha

A very crafty Doctor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007 04:52:58 AM »

I remember going for a walk as a child and picking up some random soft toys from a dumpster.

My aunt also used to check through the dumpster on the army base she lived in for stuff to sell in the second hand shop. Always families moving as the soldiers get posted to other places. A sign that some families were aware of her activities was her one day finding some lovely designer shirts. Not only where they in good condition, the person throwing them had washed them, ironed them and folded them neatly into a plastic bag. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I do Personal swaps though you might have to ask me really nicely as I don't have huge swathes of time on my hands Smiley However I love crafting for other people.
ForestGreen
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007 06:51:57 PM »

Another good place to go is colleges.  At the end of the semester when kids are moving out of the dorms they throw out so much usable stuff.  Of course, check with the college office to see what their policies are.

Also try the neighborhoods around the college. We lived in a college town for a while and the kids would pack the surounding apartment complexes. I've heard of people finding entire computers (in good working order) in the  dumpsters because the owners couldn't fly home with them at the end of the school year. We got quite a bit of furniture just from people moving out of our small complex. I always wanted to borrow a truck on moving day and troll the neighborhoods for stuff but we never did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. - Blue Oyster Cult
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007 07:17:56 PM »

OH MAN! college move out!!  some even have lists of free furniture etc... just come and get it!!  I have found my entire bedroom furniture - Pier 1 ... an entire set!! - this way! - also electronics and books and the list goes on!! and when you meet the students they will throw in all kinds of things - esp the seniors!!!  and i have been invited to all the good bye parties!!  ok well - i work at a university... so get ready people! the season of moving is coming and the early bird well... you know!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007 07:22:30 PM »

OOOHHH!! I forgot to mention - our UNIV also has a 'surplus' store- its only open 1-2 days a week... open to the public and offers anything and everything very cost effective!!  from computers to hardware to furniture - its usually great stuff they are just upgrading the offices/dorms/classrooms etc... not a hugely advertised store but defintely worth checking out - we even offer an online look
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hylas
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007 10:55:36 PM »

I am posting here so I will be reminded to post a picture of the amazing fake leather couch I and wooden headboard I rescued outside a furniture store.....I just have to get some batteries for my camera.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject
the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to
serve man.  ~Lynn White, Jr., "The Historical Roots of Our Ecologic
Crisis," 1967

heather.homelinux.o rg
TheBrutalBamf

Friendly mushroom! Mushy giant friend!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007 11:01:05 PM »

I feel that everyone, especially poor college students, should learn the art of diving (and do it at least once. Grin)  My friends scope out the local industrial parks and malls- and always come back with something.  Everything from computer desks and clothing chests- to chips, donuts, and flowers.
...I remember one night we picked up at least forty bouquets of flowers (including the expensive red roses) and proceded to hand them out at a nearby McDonald's.  A local floral distributer is only open Monday-Friday.  Any flowers/bouquets left on Friday are thrown out, because they won't last the weekend.  We like to salvage them, and make others smile a little.  Smiley Cheesy Smiley
I would like to mention that diving is illegal in some places, but special care should be taken even where it is legal.  Businesses tend to frown on diving because of the mess bad divers leave behind.  Good divers should be sure to leave the area nicer than when they found it, and not damage personal property.  No damage to the dumpsters.  No debris should be outside the dumpster.  This being said I highly recommend gloves, an air freshener, a flashlight, and a speedy means of transportation (incase of conflict.)  Always scope the area prior to diving.  Notice trash compactors.  A trash compactor typically means you won't find much in the dumpster (unless you are REALLY lucky and someone doesn't do their job right.)
Hmmm.  Now I wish I had hit that floral shop tonight... Maybe next week eh?  And a trip to the chip distributors might be in order.  Btw, to those of you near a Dunkin' Donuts bakery- they throw out 50 lbs bags of 'reject' donuts.  The bottom of the bag is squished to heck, but the ones near the top are perfectly fine.  To those who shudder at the thought of food/produce from a dumpster- I understand.  But typically these things are thrown in bags that are placed in boxes, that are arranged in the dumpster.  Unfortunately the boxes have a disclaimer on them, making it illegal for people to take them... Not that it matters.  Most people can't even lift that many donuts.  I say take what you want, close the box back up, and go.  Smiley  Who can say no to free donuts?
Happy Diving!  If I ever get a great haul, I'll post back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007 08:14:23 PM »

I've long been a dumpster picker -- that is, I'll look in the dumpster and reeeeeach to get what I want.  Well, the day finally came (this last Thursday, as a matter of fact) that I had to actually climb into the dumpster to get what I was after.  Such a rush!  It was vintage fabric scraps -- what was I supposed to do?  The cute little 2" x 6" piece of strawberry fabric was looking up at me, saying in a pathetic little voice, "You can't just leave me here!  Wouldn't I look cute as part of a patchwork zipper pouch?"  So congratulate me -- I've officially reached the next level.   Grin 

Oh, and I'll post pictures of my haul here pretty soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Diffuser to Style Frizz-Free Curly Hair
Hot or Not: Celebrity Hairstyles for Summer 2013
Big Waves Hair Tutorial
What Is the Hair Routine Like Amongst Teresa and Her Daughters?
How To Rock A Rope Braid Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...