A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 25583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamma3monkeys
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2009 01:19:04 PM »

I totally grew up dumpster diving! And one day out of a year, we'd have the chance to have the city pick up our large garbage items that won't fit in the garbage cans - and we'd cruise the streets picking through.

For a time, I lived in a huge university town and as soon as the students could move out and go home, (A LOT of wealthy students are BIG wasters as their mom and dad just buy them the next best thing come start of the new school year). I never did get to go dumpster diving there *sigh* but we did have to move over 1,000 miles away and we ourselves had to toss stuff (and saw the apartment crew diving for our things, lol).

now we live in a low-income apartment complex with a high turn-around/over rate. People are always moving in and out. YOUNG couples with a small kid, or a LOT of single moms... sometimes they find something better or they move in with a boyfriend in their place, or go back to mom and dads, and they ditch what they can't take. So when I see moving trucks or people moving, I keep an eye on the nearest bin. Also, the bin furthest away from the manager because there are things we aren't supposed to toss and furniture is a big no-no. The less the manager can regularly patrol, the more things we find. We find bed frames, headboards, mattresses, tv carts, TV's, Radios, a month old lazy boy recliner (the manufacture date on the bottom told me when it was shipped, barely a month from when we found it. I know many others have found more things and I get jealous. lol. And i hate it when it rains on things I want!

I just refuse things that have had garbage on top of it, that have mold, that are waterlogged, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shilohcoral
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2009 12:06:17 AM »

Such an inspiring thread. I unfortunately cannot dive since me and the bf rent a small room in an apartment, but I can't wait until we have our own place! The people who have the lease on the apartment we live in scour the girl's mom's neighborhood: it's some gated country club community. The dresser, bedframe, and ceiling fan in our room were all found by them. They have tons of chairs, furniture...you name it. He refurbishes a lot of the items and sells them.

Growing up my mom always got chairs and such off the side of the rode. One of the desks I used for many years before moving out was found on the side of the road in our neighborhood.

I, for some reason, would have never thought to look behind Big Lots or Tuesday Morning or such. No clue why. I wish I could move out of this tiny room NOW so I could go dumpster diving TOMORROW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long time lurker, rarely a poster.
I like cats and rainbows.

http://www.mixymitzy.etsy.com -- sewing patterns, vtg clothes, destash, and more
http://www.mixymitzy.wordpress.com -- blog
http://www.mixymitzy.tumblr.com -- thrift finds, WIPs, amateur photos, and other fun stuff
twistedwhisker1
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2009 10:23:04 PM »

I live in a small(ish) town, about 80,000 people, and have noticed that within the last couple years more and more people have started to put their 'junk' in the alley for people to take, but because this isn't a normal practice here the stuff would sit there until people put a 'free' sign on it.  LOL

Growing up I lived in a Rural community that didn't (and still doesn't) have garbage pick-up. It had it's own garbage dump which was basically a giant hole in the ground that some guy came and lit on fire once a week or so.  Many people would set aside the things that they thought would be usable to others. ie: leave them on the side of the hole so people would notice them and be more likely to take them when they weren't covered in gross garbage. Now the hole in the ground is gone and has been replaced with large dumpsters, but people will still often leave their reusable goods beside the dumpster instead of in it.  May be worth looking into if you live within a short distance of a rural dump.

I don't know if all Walmarts are the same but the one here, throws out very little.  Every year they 'adopt' a local school and any paper goods, craft supplies, left over decorations, ect. that are damaged/written off are donated to the school monthly.  P.A.C/P.T.A parent for many years.
Any pet supplies, paint, cleaning supplies, & coffee, (Yay!) are donated to the SPCA, where I work.  I think other foods are probably donated elsewhere.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Save a life, please spay or neuter your pet.
twistedwhisker1
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2009 10:50:47 PM »

Another thing to look for is garage sales. A lot of the wealthier subdivisions organize sales to have a bunch of households participating on certain weekends to draw more people. Most of the time, the stuff they don't sell just ends up on the curb after the weekend is over (that goes for pretty much any garage sale, not just those organized ones, but the latter are just easier to find), especially in the neighborhoods where trash day is Monday. If you look for the garage sales, the house's trash is pretty much garaunteed to have nicer things, since they had tried to sell the stuff instead of just throwing it away.

This is true!  Actually one of the subdivisions around here calls has the local thrift stores coming to pickup on Monday after the yard sale.  So they just leave it all out on the curb over night.  Don't feel badly about possibly taking from the needy as many of our thrift stores around here will look over the stuff and only take what they want and leave the rest. My neighbour moved out and left a bunch of stuff for the thrift store on the lawn.  They came and looked it over, but left a dresser that needed some paint, and a book shelf.  Who knew they would be so picky?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Save a life, please spay or neuter your pet.
minowisbitt8lo
I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2009 08:26:15 PM »

I second the apartment complex dumpster idea, find out when their pickup day is and go the night before.  I lived in an apartment complex when we first moved to KS and found a bunch of furniture and craft supplies and that was 1 trip to the dumpster area with my cardboard!  Also note that the stuff was on the ground behind the dumpster. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
sophie_aj
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2009 12:40:24 PM »

I have also skimmed through the posts.. I am a dumpster diver from England. Here it is called skipping though! I live in a house of which a good proportion of our once unfurnished property has come off the streets.. sofa beds...cushions...sewing machines and not to mention food. The latter may be more controversial for some but unfortunately we live in a world of waste and want and this includes food. Once you have seen the food thrown it is hard to justify spending money on it (I would put up photos to make you gasp but I am a newbie so can't do that yet)

Aldi/Lidl (don't know if this is just in Europe) but they have a policy of no price reductions so once the new stuff comes into store then the rest gets chucked... brand new clothes, tools, houseware, plants etc.

There is so much to be found in bins/dumpsters/trash cans and like you say outside houses or on street corners too. There are materials and tools a plenty to go around. Take a look... and ALSO believe it or no Charity shops throw stuff out too... FREE for ALL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peace_piper
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010 03:42:48 PM »

I got a great top sheet with some retro flower print and four shirts just on Tuesday from a freebox run. Not exactly dumpster, but I have done that in the past and found great sculpture material, but right now I'm mostly looking for fabric. Someone's always throwing away clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roxsun40
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010 09:28:18 PM »

I just dumpster dived for the first time today! I found a white comforter with no spots!! I live near a military base and there is a thrift store on base that has two dumpsters full of great items.

I do have a question though.. is it better to dive at night or day time? Night right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010 08:02:21 PM »

HAHA..You all are too funny...I can tell you that MICHAELS is the worst they take ALL the clearance items and toss them in the dumpster! They do not donate them but count it as a loss and toss. I have a friend here who works there and she tells us when she is tossing and I am a driver not a diver but we dont keep it we give it to the family homeless shelters for the children and battered women to enjoy. I am so pisst that they toss out the good stuff and not donate it so we do it for them. They MGRs are pisst they cant just give it away to schools, kids programs in the citys ets.. FOOLISH REALLY!! I would be to scaired of anything in one to ever get in one ever..

I have a gal pal in Seattle who is a freegan...she and a group get almost EVERYTHING out of the trash at the surpe markets..she said she only spend about 10.00 a week in grocerys as they go on the night hunts I just dont thing I could do it. I am a germfreak in a lot of ways and I am afraid of dumpsters always have been!

Oh dumpster diving is the act of actually getting in a dumpster to gather things form teh "trash" However things setting out I would just take that is not dumpster diving just drive by..On military bases they do it every night before trash day..BEST shit really they toss everythign out in the transfer and tax season...LOL...I am all about rehab a dresser/ table chair that sort of thing but to get actually in a dumpster Yah...Not me I would freak out!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 08:08:49 PM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Demi_Kitten
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2010 08:29:36 AM »

I haven't dumpster dived but I know people who do, they've found some really cool stuff. I...can't bring myself to try...maybe one day but right now nu-uh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Athena: Today I was beat in a weaving contest by a mortal, so I threw a little bit of a hissy fit at her, so she hung herself...long story short she's a spider and everyone thinks I'm a bitch. FML
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
How to Arrange a Tulip Bowl Centerpiece
How to Make a Capelet from an Old Sweater
What Trace Is in Soap Making
The Art of Flower Pressing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...