A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Excuse me?!?! Dumpster Diving  (Read 24206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006 03:58:17 PM »

Smelly dumpsters = bad! Seriously, just stay away. Another thing to be careful of is the law; yes, in some states dumpster diving is illegal.
There is a great website devoted to dumpster diving, I'll try to find it again...

ETA: Found the site!
http://members.aol.com/TheDumpsterLady/thedumpsterlady.htm

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006 03:59:51 PM by the wallaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Gwydion
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006 07:57:35 PM »

Ooh, I love dumpsters.  Wish I were in your area.

My husband doesn't approve of dumpster diving.  Unless he sees something HE wants and then he asks ME to sneak it out for him.  Grin

If you're looking for craft-able stuff or furniture, check around the apartment complexes in your area.  (bearing in mind that apartment residents are very nosy) Most people move during the first and last weeks of the month, they throw out LOADS of stuff.  A lot of the people in my complex just leave usable discards to one side in the laundry room or trash room--very considerate!

Apparently one of the recent move-outs was an art major--I scored a couple of abstract paintings, a lot of foam board, some canvas, and an assortment of acrylic paints.  I wanted the easel, but someone else got to it before I got back. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Demisedone
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006 08:32:19 PM »

Wish I knew if it was illegal here, Pier 1 imports closed 2weeks ago makes me wonder what they threw away, Its kind of sad how many businesses throw away perfectly good items/food. all that could of benefited someone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006 05:40:26 AM »

Another good place to go is colleges.  At the end of the semester when kids are moving out of the dorms they throw out so much usable stuff.  Of course, check with the college office to see what their policies are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006 08:05:03 AM »

One sweet thing about living in the incorporated part of Salt Lake City is that they have neighborhood cleanup days.  Folks have a designated week to put stuff in front of their houses for the city to collect.  One can find some great stuff there.  I scored a cute little sewing table, just missing a screw to hold on a cabinet door.  My MIL and I wander the streets (much to the horror of my DH) and search thru the piles, and we are not the only ones.. And I have been known to search thru a dumpster or two...and of course the recycling bins, and the neighbors recycling bins.

Speaking of finds:  I grabbed an awesome, hand knit aran %100 wool sweater, from Scotland, no less at the thriftstore for a whopping $10.  That sucker would've easily retailed for $200..  amazing what people will throw out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006 07:42:42 PM »

Crimethinc has awesome info. on dumpster diving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muddy Fox
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006 11:14:40 AM »

Woah, HAD to post here as I am a CHRONIC diver! lol, DH has only just gotten used to the shame  Grin but only coz I've brought home some waaaay cool stuff.  I'm in the UK so I call it skip raiding (don't really have dumpsters here, but everyone knows what you're talking about). My best ever finds have been a cast iron bath (boy was that heavy! 3 of us carryin a bath down our road - ha ha ha ha), a wrought iron garden bench (missing a coupla slats), a wrought iron old Singer sewing machine table (I kid you not, I couldn't believe it either - the FOOLS) and a black woven wool nurse's cape. I mean lordy that is several hundred pounds worth of stuff!

The sewing machine table was from a house just up the road having a clear out - looked like an elderly relative had died.  I remember there was quite a bit of good stuff in that skip, and the funny thing was the woman was chucking stuff in while I was hoiking it out.  I did try and say hello, but I think I was just too weird for her and she could only cope by blanking me out of her consciousness  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But aside from the large treasures, I've aquired sooo much stuff from skips.  Kids' toys, storage boxes, cupboard doors (hmm, makes mental note to one day get round to painting and re-hanging those...), oh loads of stuff.

Be bold, wear gloves - just go for it. 

[ps] thanks for the tip about colleges - this is a 2 university city, so i might just have to go round the halls of residence come summertime and see what I can find. Ha ha my DH is gonna hate me for that.... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing improves creativity like a lack of supervision...
snowtigress
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006 03:10:37 PM »

If you're going to go to universities, try to find out when their move-out days/final exams are.  People at my school throw out sooooo much great stuff.  I always want to try to save some of the stuff (used for less than a year usually) but I have my own stuff to try to get home. 

It would do the dump a great service if people would come take some of the stuff from colleges that gets thrown out needlessly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006 11:25:41 PM »

i like looking behine the thrift stores in my town.
after 2 weeks, if something doesnt sell they throw it out.
YEAH I KNOWWW, ITS CRAZY.
i have gotten clothes, chairs, all sorts of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006 01:05:19 PM »

haha- this sounds like so much fun!  i'm gonna have to start doing this soon...  by the way, what is DH?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Worst Dressed of the 2013 MTV VMAs
Best Dressed of the MTV VMAs
United States in Style: Portland
Fashion Fixes With Kelly Lee
Three Takes on the Printed Pants Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...