A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using Internet Search Images in Jewlery  (Read 589 times)
Tags for this thread: copyright  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TaintedinaSense

Not all who wander are lost.-JRR Tolkien

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010 11:29:49 AM »

What should I know before I start printing and using images in my jewelry? I am mainly looking at vintage French postcards and Rococo era images. Is it even legal for me to do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Circlesofstone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010 04:44:04 AM »

Check out doverpublications.com, they sell books and CDs of royalty-free images. They claim to have over 400,000 images. You can use these in graphics and craft projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010 07:55:40 AM »

Check out the restrictions in Dover publications though since even those companies that allow their images to be used for profit will put a cap on the number of times you can do that for any one image, etc. (for Dover, that used to be 10... there were rumors that policy had changed when they got sold, but others said it had definitely not changed).

Images published before 1923 or something (maybe a bit later now) are all copyright/royalty free, but not sure if that means you can technically use someone else's image of that image (say, in a book), but if you have the book itself you could use an image from it . . . or check that out anyway.

Some rubberstamp companies are "angel" companies" and those allow wider latitude of their images. Even they have a wide range of restrictions though...some say you can use the impression 10 or x-number of times, others only for gifts only, others say just don't reproduce the image, etc.

I don't think that anyone will come after you for using almost any image for yourself, or a few friends for gifts, or even selling a few.  But some companies are highly protective of their copyrights, trademarks, etc., and have deep pockets for being able to sue.  
If you sell a number of things like that in a public place that lots of people will see, or online where they can be searched for by the companies or individuals, or word of mouth gets around, you're taking a much bigger risk (without getting permission, or paying a fee first).

Also, if the images were created or published in other countries, or a long time ago, or by companies that weren't large or are now out of business, there is a much lower chance that anyone will know about your even selling those images, or care.

There is an exception for reproducing copyrighted images, etc, I believe, if it's being done for "free speech" reasons --to criticize or review something, or to use it as satire, etc.  But may be getting the "fair use" clause mixed in there where it doesn't belong.  And that's also evolving these days with all the new media that can do reproductions, etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010 08:05:30 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
TaintedinaSense

Not all who wander are lost.-JRR Tolkien

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010 12:18:12 PM »

Thank you circleofstone. I will definitely check out that website.
And, many, many thanks Diane. You really explained it all for me. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Care with Natural Ingredients
Make Your Hair Color Last Longer With Easy At-Home Tips
Best Summer Hair Color Trends For Your Skin Tone
At-Home Keratin Treatment Tips
Hermione Granger Inspired Hair Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...