A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meet Our First Featured Organizer!  (Read 9645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2010 08:36:02 AM »

Many of you have seen (and contributed!) to the "Great Organizers I have Known" thread that was started several weeks ago.  We love hearing about what makes a swap run smoothly for you and we love all the positive energy that the thread has created.  

In that spirit, we'd like to begin featuring a special organizer for the swap boards.  We'll meet some of our amazing organizers and pick their brains about how they keep on top of everything organizing requires.

Without further delay, let's give a warm, hearty Craftster congrats to pinkleo, our first featured organizer!

What is your favorite thing about organizing?

Just one thing!?  Okay, Ill pick one My favorite thing about organizing is getting everyone together to share their crafting, inspiration, and loves.

Do you prefer a huge swap, or a small one? Why?  

Actually, Im addicted to all kinds of swaps.  I adore the variety and excitement of a large swap.  But I love the intimacy of a smaller one.  (And I must say, smaller swaps are much easier to keep track of as an organizer.)

Do you like using a co-organizer?

Yes!  And in a large swap, a co-organizer is a must!  (I also like being a co-organizer, especially to first-time organizers.)  

If so, how do you split up organizing responsibilities?  

After partnering, I divide the participants in half (I refer to them as teams).  My co-organizer keeps track of the sending and receiving of their team and is in charge of feedback for their team.  

How do you select a co-organizer?

Im partial to Craftsters who I know well or who are regulars on the Craftster site.  And I must admit, I do have a crafty crush and organizer love for jennieingram, who has been my co-organizer for three swaps.  We share many of the same passions and loves which inspires me.  Plus, she is a great communicator and very organized.

How do you match up partners in a swap?

First, I deal with international shipping and allergies.  After that I look at what one crafts and what crafts one admires.  I also like to stalk participants posts and wists to get a sense of their crafts and likes.  (I do have organizers glee when I find two swappers who have wisted each others projects.)  And then I post them with fingers crossed that I havent goofed somewhere and that everyone is pleased.

Any particular tricks or tips you'd be willing to share with other organizers?  

First, be excited about your swap.  Your excitement is contagious, and excitement leads to a fun swap.  Second, remember that when you take on the role of organizer, you are making a commitment to your participants.  You need to be available to your participants to answer questions, give timely feedback, and resolve issues.  Third, find a system that helps you be organized, be it paper lists or Google Docs; this will help you out tremendously!

What would you say is the most important element of making a swap fun for everyone?

COMMUNICATION!  Communication is the key to a happy swap experience.  Partners need to say HI and give updates on crafting progress.  Organizers need to keep participants informed, be available for questions, and check in on participants.  Participants need to keep their organizers informed of any issues, questions, or concerns.  I dont think you could ever communicate too much in a swap.  And never be afraid to ask questions!  Organizers and Swap Mods are there to help and to make sure everyone has a good swapping experience.

Where do you find your swapping AND organizing inspiration?  

My inspiration originates from many sources.  First, I'm an avid reader so I derive tons of inspiration from my favorite books; swaps like twilight: Longing for New Moon, Shakespeare Swap, and Because We Miss Harry Potter allow me to explore new aspects of the stories and really get creative.  Another inspiration for swapping and organizing is particular crafts I enjoy doing such as the Embroidery, Loaded Charm Bracelet, and For Hookers Only swaps; these craft swaps allow me to explore, challenge, and use my crafting abilities.  Also, I am inspired by my many loves such as my love of autumn for the I Love Fall! swap and my love of cooking for the Recipe Swap.  And in turn I am inspired by the loves and passions of my partners.  But mostly I am inspired by the creativity, support, and enthusiasm of everyone on Craftster.

What was your favorite swap you organized, and what do you think made it a success?  

Oh thats a tough one I would have to say the OTHPT: One Tiny Harry Potter Thing.  I love, love, love Harry Potter swaps!  And in the OTHPT, I loved the crafty challenge to create something small in size, but big in craftiness.  Everyone in the swap was very excited which lead to tons of discussions and communication, and the gallery produced amazing projects!

Is there anything else you'd like to share?

I am honored to be considered a Featured Organizer.  I want to say how much I adore Craftster and the Wonderful World of Organized Swaps.  I have met some fantastic people.  And I have been inspired by so many.  Swapping has really stretched me as a crafter, allowed me new ways to enjoy my loves, and given me more confidence in my abilities.  Thank you to all my organizers, co-organizers, partners, mods, and participants; you make my life full of crafty joy!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 09:34:39 AM by lapoli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010 09:02:51 AM »

What a great interview! Thanks for sharing your tips on being a good organizer, pinkleo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010 09:20:45 AM »

Great interview Smiley  I love reading interviews and getting that little peek into someone's creative mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010 10:15:17 AM »

That really WAS interesting!  -And - I couldn't agree more about swaps stretching your crafting abilities - that's why I love them so much - nothing better than a challange!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010 10:24:05 AM »

Pinkleo is by far my favorite organizer!  Thank you lapoli for interviewing such an awesome organizer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
KraftyKitonet
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 10:30:49 AM »

Congrats and well deserved! Great interview!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::.Wists.::.Etsy.::.
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 10:52:24 AM »

What a great interview!!

I love the peek into how you organise your swaps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010 11:12:08 AM »

As someone new to the whole world of swapping it's interesting to hear things from an organizer's view point.  Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
Le Mieux
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010 12:44:00 PM »

great interview! i have to say, having been in a twilight swap with her organising, it felt really special to be part of it as her enthusiasm and excitement really was contagious! she's also so welcoming, it's like discussing the subject with best friends, and i really loved that  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010 12:50:38 PM »

Excellent interview Pinkleo! Your a fantastic organizer and it was nice to see some of your insight in the organizing world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Landscape Painting Techniques
Plein-Air Landscape Painting
How to Make a Composition in Your Painting
How to Paint the Landscape
Painting Lesson - Color Chapter 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...